Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

New header = computer readjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Default New header = computer readjustment?

I'm new to the world of tuning (I worked more on muscle cars) and I'm looking at putting a header on my '98 Accord. The engine is completely stock, and the car is a 2-door '98 Accord EX, automatic 4 speed, completely stock. I'm just looking to gain a little power without having to sacrifice too much fuel effeciency. If I got a new header and maybe exhaust later, would I have to do any reprogramming to any of the sensors? Again, right now I'm new to the world of tuning, so I have no idea...

Old 03-15-2007, 01:49 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: New header = computer readjustment?

Welcome! Sounds great to add a header. You do not need to do any reprogramming, as with and modification all you need to do is reset the ECU. By either, unhooking the battery and opening your doors for about 15 minutes or removing a fuse (Sry, I forget which one). Then after you put on your header, and reset the ecu, start your car and let it idle for 5-8 minutes to let it relearn itself. Make sure you dont press the gas though. Also, your original O2 sensor may become stuck in your stock manifold so spray it with WD-40 or liquid wrench and be prepared to buy another sensor just in case. Also which brands are you looking @? I have OBX and they are cheap, but great quality EXCEPT for the gaskets, so if you go with OBX or another brand w/ cheap gaskets, get good quality ones so you dont have to replace them again later. Also, make sure to retighten the nuts avery few days when the car is cold to prevent leaks and blowing out the gaskets. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 03-15-2007, 06:19 PM

Actually, the brand I was looking at was a more pricey than I originally anticipated, but I was looking at FlowTech or FlowMasters. As most people here, I don't want the coffee can, stereotypical rice rocket high whiny sound. I'd rather keep mine decently quiet that people will pass it off as stock.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:28 AM

Alright, I know its against most forums rules to double post, but I need to know how to find out if my engine is compatable with certain headers. Where would I look on the VIN number, because I've heard that you can't actually determine Honda engine types through the VIN, but I've seen some that say VIN Code "CG5".... Any ideas?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:08 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Well the headers themselves wont give you any sort of ricey sound at all, no matter what brand you choose. The ricey sound comes from the huge canisters of certain exhausts.

As for teh VIN number, I have never heard of that. All you really need to do is pop the hood, look what your engine is and thats that. Then just go to eBay and type in "98 Accord EX headers" and you should find what your looking for.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:09 AM

Well, since I'm discussing headers in this thread, what has anyone heard about Pacesetters?

Old 03-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I have heard of Pacesetters an they are a reasonably good brand, sometimes pricey, but the quality is good. As for the different Honda motors, mot companies now on their websites offer a Year/Model/Engine Size search to help make everything easier trying to find parts for your particular car. Good luck with it......

Old 03-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

to reset the ECU go to our DIY section and read the post ( how to reset ecu )