Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 12:45 PM
Default Performance questions

Afternoon fellas, I bought a 2012 Honda Accord EX sport coupe with a 2.4 l dual overhead cam VTEC and five speed. Just have some questions about why when I shift I can't shift quickly but it shifts fine otherwise and what kind of performance mods and tunes are good for a budget.

Old 12-23-2020, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hondacivic33
Afternoon fellas, I bought a 2012 Honda Accord EX sport coupe with a 2.4 l dual overhead cam VTEC and five speed. Just have some questions about why when I shift I can't shift quickly but it shifts fine otherwise and what kind of performance mods and tunes are good for a budget.
Are you having an issue with the speed of the gear change itself or the speed of the clutch engagement?

As for modifications; you have three options:
  • Reliability
  • Affordability
  • Performance
Pick any two of the three; there are few if any "budget" modifications which will produce any real change in your car beyond more noise.

Old 12-23-2020, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Are you having an issue with the speed of the gear change itself or the speed of the clutch engagement?

As for modifications; you have three options:
  • Reliability
  • Affordability
  • Performance
Pick any two of the three; there are few if any "budget" modifications which will produce any real change in your car beyond more noise.
If I try to shift it fast it's delayed but then goes into gear good. If I shift it normally the shifts great if I try to shift it fast its like hits a wall and stops. And I was just trying to come up with a couple budget things I know cold air intakes don't work. So other than the exhaust that's about the only thing other then ordering a programmer from Hondadata. I owned a 96 Honda Civic with a D16Y8 and had so much fun with it so the 2.4 l is a whole different animal I'm not used to. The car I just purchased has a k&N intake on it. I was thinking about doing MSD coils and converting over to E3 spark plugs. After I get it out of storage this summer I want to do a valve job on it that made a huge difference on my Civic. Just setting the lash on valves.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

The K&N, MSD Coils, and E3 plugs are all snake oil; I strongly recommend you return those bits to stock. As for the shifting, is it only when the transmission is cold, or once it is well warmed up as well?

FWIW, for Honda's 6-Speed manuals, the go-to MTF is ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified (part number 10-4014); this stuff cured a multitude of issues across the lineup of Honda and Acura transmissions.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hondacivic33

I'd run the Redline MTL/MT90 transmission fluid and a 0w30 from Redline,Amsoil or Mobil 1. A quality intake SRI from aem or injen. Recommend the non oil filters as their filtering is better. Would get a Apexi car back exhaust and header. Would do the front strut bar and rear sway bar.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:24 PM

It does have upgraded sway bars, coilovers and Camber kits on it. I like I said before it does have a k&N ram jet intake which came with it I wouldn't purchase it but it's on there I was wondering about the Hondadata programmer?