Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Stock Intake vs Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:05 PM
ctstar2009
Unregistered
Default Stock Intake vs Short Ram Intake

which one would give me better mpg?

Old 07-02-2009, 08:16 PM

it depends...if you drive aggressively because you fall in love with the aggressive sound of the SRI, then your MPG will b lower. BUT, if you drive exactly the same (given the variable of amount of fuel injected remains constant), then your MPG should be higher because more air= more complete fuel burn. However, the downfall of this is the MAF sensor. Because these sensors detect the amount of air being acquired by the engine, they can tell the computer to inject more fuel to compensate for the greater airflow. All told, however, you theoretically could gain 1 MPG, maybe 2 if you are lucky. To see any appreciable improvement, you would have to add exhaust as well to complete the freed up air path. Imagine trying to stuff an inflated balloon into a funnel. That is what it is like if you only install an intake. The best of luck!

Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 PM
ctstar2009
Unregistered

Thanks alot for your input. I'm just trying to keep my car stock as possible but at the same time change a few things that will help make it run better but at the same time keep it original. I have a 1992 accord by the way.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Wink

of course..no problem. What I might suggest is to remove your whole air box assembly but keep the rubber hose that attaches to it. Then buy a K&N or AEM filter and clamp it on..That will do almost exactly the same think as a short ram w/out the hassle of a MAF redo. If you want an intake though, you can get a weapon r intake for about $100 and a whole exhaust get-up for about $500-600. Your call. However, you might be able to go to a shop and get a custom system for less. But unless you've got the big bucks, don't get stainless steel, go with alumized steel. But I say go with my first idea..it'll only set you back $30-50 and will likely do more for your car than anything you buy for $100.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by jasonfridlund
it depends...if you drive aggressively because you fall in love with the aggressive sound of the SRI, then your MPG will b lower. BUT, if you drive exactly the same (given the variable of amount of fuel injected remains constant), then your MPG should be higher because more air= more complete fuel burn.

Good in theory, but this isn't the 1980s and he doesn't have an American V8.
Stock intake and exhaust designs have improved a lot over the last 30 years, to the point that they are all virtually as good as you can get.
An aftermarket intake will not improve the performance, in fact there is a chance it will make it worse.

If your really serious about changing your MPG then change your driving style.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Default thank you

thanx for educating me. I always look forward to becoming more proficient in my knowledge of engineering!

Old 07-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The best MPG intake is a turbo on vacuum.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by jasonfridlund
of course..no problem. What I might suggest is to remove your whole air box assembly but keep the rubber hose that attaches to it. Then buy a K&N or AEM filter and clamp it on..That will do almost exactly the same think as a short ram w/out the hassle of a MAF redo. If you want an intake though, you can get a weapon r intake for about $100 and a whole exhaust get-up for about $500-600. Your call. However, you might be able to go to a shop and get a custom system for less. But unless you've got the big bucks, don't get stainless steel, go with alumized steel. But I say go with my first idea..it'll only set you back $30-50 and will likely do more for your car than anything you buy for $100.

Where would I find that intake that keeps the OEM tube?