New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1994 Honda Accord LX

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 02:55 PM
AbsoluteOblivi0n
Unregistered
Default 1994 Honda Accord LX

Hey guys, first post here.

Well wouldn't you know it, since the Probe SE is on it's way, another car comes into play.

My friend has a 94 Accord LX with about....140k (Maybe) on it. (Odometer broke after 120, she bought it three years ago like that). It has the 2.2l engine with the auto tranny. I used to date the girl so I've driven around in the car....never any real problems that I have noticed (Well, anything is better compared to the Probe). 1200 bucks.

Only thing is, she needs breaks up front. And since well, I don't think the car has had a tuneup in about 2 years (I'm sure you get what I mean).....so I figure spark plugs, ignition wires, distro cap, air filter, some engine treatment (hey never did me wrong), flush out the auto tranny fluid just as a precaution (of course I'm going to check if it needs it first), then flush the coolant system. Maybe 200-400 bucks at the most, make that car like a kid again....what do you think. Any things I should look for?

The only real problem, she says she just needs to recharge the A/C......which because this happened before, I want to make sure. The compressor turns on and everything, it just doesn't get cold. I sure as hell don't want to buy a compressor, money is tight as it is for a while.

So, for 1,200 bucks....maybe 1,700 after I tune-up, not a bad deal for a Accord? My Probe has 150k on it, and as soon as the Ford dies I'm picking up the Honda without a doubt... plus 140k on a Honda if taken care of is nothing.....I hope. Car felt faster than my Probe, but I'm not planning on "moddin out" a 2.2l, AUTOMATIC, just need something reliable.

Thought I'd post it up, get some comments..
Kenny

Old 04-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Default RE: 1994 Honda Accord LX

Welcome to the forum! You'd be crazy not to buy that car...

I have a 94 Accord EX and the speedometer went out around 135,000, apparently I was told it's a fairly common issue. Low book on the EX was 3100.00 (loan value below wholesale) for $1200.00 and the only thing wrong is what you mentioned you'd be crazy not to buy it.

Tune up: If the timing belt hasn't been done before then do it first. Spark plugs (use NGK not Bosch I use the V-power and like em), Wires, Cap/Rotor, use honda Tranny fluid, a coolant flush is a good idea as well, Air filter is a good idea, you can get an aftermarket short ram air intake for $40.00 (slight HP gain, slight Mileage gain for $30.00 more than an airfilter plus the filter is cleanable EBAY it) that's about what I would suggest...

Cost: Timing Belt $40.00 (guessing there I have no idea might as well do all the belts while you're there), Plugs $8.00, Wires/Cap $93.00 (from the local checker auto parts here, may have rotar as well), Aftermarket Airfilter $40.00, ATF Fluid 3-4 quarts about $15.00, Coolant about $15.00, Oil/Filter $20.00

Grand Total: about $231.00 would be my guess, Do the work yourself (except perhaps the timing belt) the rest of the work is SUPER simple and anyone here would be more than happy to walk you through it.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Banned
Default RE: 1994 Honda Accord LX - just a thought

My A/C is not blowing cold (we do get warm days here in the UK despite what you hear about us all having brollies ). Last April I had it checked by Honda. They charged the system and added the dye. Just one month later I rook it back for them to check and by then it was not a cold as it had been when they first charged it.

It turned out to be leaking. One of the components required was either an inlet or discharge pipe? About £60 ($100). The other part I cannot remember but all together for parts not labour about £595 ($1000 appx).

Be prepared if you want the A/C. If it is just a re-charge then [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 04-19-2006, 10:14 AM
AbsoluteOblivi0n
Unregistered
Default RE: 1994 Honda Accord LX - just a thought

Yeah, well good to know I am in good company.

A/C wise, my Probe has it, but the motor mounts are so loose, the engine car vibrates like crazy, I usually just roll the windows down. But, with the Florida summer/HURRICANES coming again, I would like to have some A/C lol. We'll see.

Well, I'll let you guys know how it goes soon hopefully.

Thanks,
Kenny