New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1997 Odyssey EX, 2.2l

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:08 AM
DieselOx
Unregistered
Default 1997 Odyssey EX, 2.2l

Just saying hello, put a bit of info in my signature.

OK, it's and Odyssey, but it's really a jacked up Accord wagon; same engine, same interior controls, and I can't find an Odyssey forum anywhere.

I'll be lurking around looking for help; this has been a great truck for the 60k miles I've had it, but it's starting to get a bit needy (had to do the rocker seals, needs CV boots, torque converter seems like it's not locking up at freeway speeds anymore (or am I just imagining that?), anyway, drastically lower MPG's).

I just decided I'm in for the long haul, was going to sell it and get and old diesel wagon for better MPG's with similar hauling ability, but it'll be cheaper to make this right than to buy an old car and then spend many $'s getting it right.

I typically pull a tent trailer most of the summer, and a utility trailer for work (I'm a contractor). I'm meticulous about maintenance, I've had everything done on the most frequent schedule by a great mechanic and now a great Honda dealer (I usually stay away form dealers but this one really seems to be good for major services), and an extra trans service for the heck of it, started running synthetic last 3 OCI's.

It has 140 psi compression exactly all 4 cylinders, down from about 160+/- when I got it.

I'm interested in anything I can do to get the MPG's up, at least to where they were, if not higher, but I have no idea where to start (I know all the usual stuff, tire pressure, drive easy, take the roof box off, avoid ethanol if possible, etc.).

Been wondering about putting the 2.2l diesel engine in it when this one finally quits, I know it's a pipe dream, but I have diesel in my blood (don't tell my wife, she'd kill me), also wondered about getting a CRV AWD and putting the drivetrain in my van (you can laugh, but it might happen, watch out).