New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2006 Honda 2.4 4cyl won’t take ac charge

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 03:18 PM
Default 2006 Honda 2.4 4cyl won’t take ac charge

Hi there thanks for add. I own a 2006 Honda Accord EX 2.4 4cyl automatic. It’s a great car. It has 410000 miles on it and still running strong.

question is, AC starting blowing hot air the other day going down road after it was blowing cold. Went to work and the on way home next day started blowing hot on way home then went cold and then back hot.

id replaced compressor a time or two before as well as condenser and dryer 3 times prior so I keep dye in system just in case. Sure enough, I found leak on low line going in compressor. I undid the low line and replaced the oring on it where it enters compressor.

i then pulled a vacuum to -28” Mercury I stopped pulling in about an hour and let sit for 1 hour. Still holding same pressure so I figured it was good to charge. I started trying to charge and system will not charge. It accepts 1/2-3/4 of first can and that’s all it will take. Still blowing same hot air. Now I know it takes 19oz to be full charge so I’m not close to that.

i then checked compressor clutch and it’s spinning and stops when I click ac off and starts when I click on.

why won’t it Accept a charge??? I’m at a loss.

please and thanks

Old 06-13-2020, 07:23 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I think your troubleshooting is backwards. What made you change the compressor? Was all the vents blowing hot or just one side? What steps I would take to solve the issue.

1. Check hi/low pressures to see if it's correct
2. Check switch to make sure it's working if clutch is not engaging
3. Check blend doors to make sure they are moving (should be 2 temp actuators)

If compressor is deemed bad

1. Replace and add 5.5oz of PAG 46; always put new o-rings on
2. Pull -30 for an hour and hold for an hour
3. Hook Freon canister up and bleed the line
4. Turn a/c on, windows down (i like to have someone in the car to keep the engine at 1500rpm while filling)
5. Fill until low side is between 50-55 adjust with ambient temp (this is around normal morning summer weather). High side should read between 220-250.

If you can't get more in you may have introduced too much air. Vacuum and follow steps.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:57 AM

So I've had this same issue where it would start blowing cold thinking that it just needed more Freon. Normally the car would take about 2 (small) cans of Freon (completely empty). But when I tried to recharge, it would only take half a can of Freon. What I found to be the issue was that moisture was in the system and would messed up the accumalator (drier/ receiver). So I replaced the accumalator and the seals. After that I put on a vacuum for about 1.5 hours. After I closed the lines (with the vacuum still on). After I closed the lines then I turned off the vacuum and let it sit for about 45 mins. After seeing that there was no leak. I put the 2 cans of Freon in with no problem and this was 6 months ago and I still haven't had a issue.

Note: I did this same process about 8 months ago but without the vacuum and the a/c worked for about 1.5 months but because I didn't put a vacuum on is the reason it only lasted 1.5 months.