New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2009 Honda Accord V6 for a first car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 03:46 PM

On a different note, since the last post had nothing to do with the car itself:

A v6 accord is a highly-regarded car. You'll see people on forums with 1st - 10th gens, and this one is an 8th. The v6 has been known to be a great engine. The VCM might not be perfect, but it's not known to be a "faulty" feature. If you google it, and search other forums (I think there's some posts on this site), you'll see some people that have had zero problems, love the VCM, and even like it more than the 9th gen that has an "ECO button" to actively engage the VCM. The transmission is probably the weak of the car, as you already know and have been told, but it's no worse than a lot of other brands/models out there. You will have to pay attention to service and maintenance, adopt good practices like changing the ATF (automatic transmission fluid) more frequently. But you have a lot of good resources from the communities that support the Accord. You should change the ATF by yourself, for example. I did my first one ever on the car I bought, and it's not hard. I think you'll enjoy it, actually. And of course, any car can have its problems. If it's used, you don't have the benefit of factory warranty. But that's just a risk you have to take. The best you can do is look at the service records, and drive the car.

Others will have better advice on what to look for during a test drive. Hopefully they see and can comment on this for you.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yep (: my next day off of work is Tuesday so I'll go ask about it then. My worst fear right now is that I'll be waiting this whole time only to have it be sold on the spot to someone else while I'm at work, before I can even test drive it. The dealer shows how many people have clicked to view its carfax report and so far it's at 89, so I'm clearly not the only one interested in it.
Compared to the 8th gen Accord I4 though, does the V6 feel overpowered? Is it just enough power? I'm guessing (and hoping) it will make highway merging easier.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Also, does the trip computer in this trim display the car's mpg? I don't know how to calculate that myself. I don't really mind if it doesn't, but I think it would be a cool feature. Again it's a 2009 EX-L V6, no navigation system. My mom's EX I4 doesn't show her mpg, so I'm thinking this one probably won't either.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:54 AM

Do a search for the users manual. Should have the answer.