New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

About myself

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 09:24 PM
Lightbulb About myself

Hi all,

Figured this would be the go-to-place to learn about all things Accord. I'm a 20-year student based in British Columbia, Abbotsford--if you heard on the news, yes, that is the one city ravaged by flooding last November.

Nonetheless, I come to you because I recently bought an '82 Accord LX, and have some questions about the Canadian model. I have had it for less than a week and have fell in love with it (my 01 Accord doesn't like it one bit). This car only had 92,445kms when I got it, and the day after I put in around 100kms on a little road trip to see how it handled--and it does so well! Unfortunately it has sat for most of its life, but fortunately in shops--it has changed hands quite a lot and the guy who sold me this did so because he needed space in his garage and had no time for it--he had 5 cars himself and just wanted it gone, so I got it for a bargain and it included plenty of work that had been previously done (alternator, new battery, fuel pump and filter, ignition coil, spark plugs, rear drums and front brake pads and choke cable). That being said, it needs a lot of work, especially bodywork. There are rust spots all around the car as well as a few holes in the undercarriage--not unexpected for a 40-year-old car (and in part why I got it for a good price). Upholstery has seen better days as well, and the back of the headliner is falling off.

This is my first carbureted car, with a manual choke. Suffices to say that I've had my share of stalls and have flooded the engine already, but it's all about learning. So here are my questions:

1. How many engine options did this car come with for the Canadian market, if more than one? Canadian Tire only lists1.8L L4 12-valve SOHC Gas, Naturally Aspirated EK1, but at Lordco I was given a weird look when I said that. There are no visible markings anywhere on my engine block, and when I gave the dealership my VIN they couldn't give me anything. All I have is the engine serial no.: EL-1626870, but don't know what to do with that. I want to know my exact engine, and unfortunately the car didn't come with the owner's manual or anything (that being said, I have already ordered a Haynes manual, and am looking into the 1982 Accord owner's manual also).

2. Are there any good sources about this 2nd gen model out there? I'm new to the forum, so haven't had much time to peruse through posts.

3. What are things I should be concerned with, for a 40-year-old car that sat most of its life? The low mileage doesn't deceive me and I'm changing all fluids is my top priority, as well as running a few additives: tranny fix, heavy duty oil stabilizer and fuel cleaner. I'm in Canada, so tips for the winter will be appreciated as well given this car is carbureted.

4. What's the reliability of the Hondamatic transmissions like? This car has a 3-spd, although I was a bit confused since under the hood the "vehicle emission control information" label lists only the 5-spd automatic, which I didn't even know was offered for this car (picture attached). It also mentions a C82B engine family code, but I couldn't find anything about it. Regardless, the shifting is not necessarily smooth for this car--is that normal for older vehicles? I can hear the clank and feel the shifting, but I've been told that that that's how it was for older cars.

Anyhow, I think the post is long enough as is already. More questions will come up as I go, and I hope that in the very near future I can make this my daily driver.

Cheers,

LXor