New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Automatic to Manual Swap on 2002 LX V6 accord coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 06:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Totally different idea

would the 5spd automatic from the TL fit in the bay? I can probably reduce the ratio a little on it for future mods.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JacobDibble
Totally different idea

would the 5spd automatic from the TL fit in the bay? I can probably reduce the ratio a little on it for future mods.
Possibly, but the 2000-2006 TL automatic transmissions is crap; possibly even less reliable than the 4-Speed automatic already in your car. Honda did eventually upgrade the H5 transmission in the TL for the 2007-2008 model years, but those transmissions will not bolt up to your engine. The two other concerns would be with the axles (you might need to have custom axles made), and the ECU wouldn't know how to operate the transmission.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

I just looked it up, at 75 mph your Accord will be turning 2,533 RPMs, a 2006 Acura TL 5-Speed automatic will be turning 2,117 RPMs at 75, and a 2006 Acura TL 6-Speed manual will be turning 2,521 RPMs; more or less the same as your Accord.

Old 02-27-2020, 11:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Gotcha, so the only only engine for any form of trans swap would be full J32 engine and trans swap. But what about changing my current final drive? Is that possible to do in the accord?

Old 02-28-2020, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Gotcha, so the only only engine for any form of trans swap would be full J32 engine and trans swap. But what about changing my current final drive? Is that possible to do in the accord?
I am unaware of anybody making a different final drive for the 4-Speed automatic transmission. The reality is, the Accord V6 models do pretty well with the 4-Speed.

Old 02-28-2020, 08:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh okay, I was thinking about doing a few mods to the engine itself and I don’t know too much about how transmissions act to more HP from the engine.

I was thinking about getting newer headers, camshaft, reinforcing the head gasket a little. Increasing piston size slightly. I’m not sure if a stage 1 Edelbrock supercharger would be a good idea :|

Old 02-28-2020, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator

Oh okay, I was thinking about doing a few mods to the engine itself and I don’t know too much about how transmissions act to more HP from the engine.

I was thinking about getting newer headers, camshaft, reinforcing the head gasket a little. Increasing piston size slightly. I’m not sure if a stage 1 Edelbrock supercharger would be a good idea :|
So here's the thing; the 4-Speed (and the first 6 years of 5-Speed) automatics are considered "fragile as glass" transmissions; they are barely able to deal with stock horsepower levels; add a supercharger to any of these cars with a V6 and an automatic and your transmission will be toast in relatively short order, assuming you use the happy pedal with any regularity.

As I wrote earlier on in this thread, if you want to add power to your car, your best bet would be to buy a wrecked Acura CL with a 6-Speed manual transmission, and swap over the wiring harnesses, the ECU, the transmission and engine, the shifter linkages, the console trim and mounts, and the clutch pedal, clutch plumbing, clutch master cylinder, and clutch slave cylinder. It is a heck of a lot of work and you should budget three to four thousand dollars, at the very minimum, and at least 500 hours for the conversion. As I also wrote earlier, it will be way better/faster/cheaper to simply buy an Acura CL 6MT, or a later model Accord Coupe V6 6MT; then you'll have a platform which can comfortably tolerate significant boosts in power from the likes of a supercharger, nitrous, or some form of a turbocharger installation.

Long story short, you have the wrong car for a build.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah, I can gather that. I’m currently eyeing a 2005 6MT V6 Coupe, that’s bone stock with all maintenance paperwork with 125k miles on it. The couple is asking $5500, for it. I think that’s a good deal and being it’s the 6MT, like you said, it would be better to build off of. I try to avoid 2003, because I heard some horrible things about that year.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I can gather that. I’m currently eyeing a 2005 6MT V6 Coupe, that’s bone stock with all maintenance paperwork with 125k miles on it. The couple is asking $5500, for it. I think that’s a good deal and being it’s the 6MT, like you said, it would be better to build off of. I try to avoid 2003, because I heard some horrible things about that year.
Now you're talking. One item of note, the 6-Speed manual transmission has an interesting issue with 3rd gear; depending upon the MTF in the transmission, 3rd gear can be difficult to fully engage, will grind while engaging, or will pop out of gear if not fully engaged; the good news is in every case, there is a single cure, drain the MTF out of the transmission and fill it with 2.3 quarts of ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified. For anybody buying a 6-Speed Honda or Acura, the ACDelco MTF is an absolute must.

Old 02-28-2020, 03:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
Now you're talking. One item of note, the 6-Speed manual transmission has an interesting issue with 3rd gear; depending upon the MTF in the transmission, 3rd gear can be difficult to fully engage, will grind while engaging, or will pop out of gear if not fully engaged; the good news is in every case, there is a single cure, drain the MTF out of the transmission and fill it with 2.3 quarts of ACDelco Synchromesh Friction Modified. For anybody buying a 6-Speed Honda or Acura, the ACDelco MTF is an absolute must.
Yup, there's even a TSB for it. My son has the 6 speed in his 08 Civic Si, and it's called out on the list (we looked it up).

Quick Reply: Automatic to Manual Swap on 2002 LX V6 accord coupe