New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Automatic to Manual Swap on 2002 LX V6 accord coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 04:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah I’ve just heard mixed things on the 7th gen accords. Some people are happy with them, some people run into trans problems. They say the same with the 6th gen (what I have) with being plagued with transmission problems. In all actuality, with my car being passed around the family and (mechanically) in great condition, there’s been no major transmission problems even now at 205k miles.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JacobDibble
Yeah I’ve just heard mixed things on the 7th gen accords. Some people are happy with them, some people run into trans problems. They say the same with the 6th gen (what I have) with being plagued with transmission problems. In all actuality, with my car being passed around the family and (mechanically) in great condition, there’s been no major transmission problems even now at 205k miles.
Since you are considering a 6-Speed Manual, the transmission problems of the H5 Automatic are irrelevant.

Old 02-28-2020, 09:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ah, okay, but yeah, I’m thinking the 6MT V6 7th or 9th Gen is a safe bet. I’m gonna keep an eye on that 7th gen 6MT (it’s a EX Red Coupe) because it’s hard to find them unmodded or not run down.

I know the early gens (3-5) are also good with the manual. Now that it’s been 25 years, who knows, I can probably order in a 4th or 5th gen Type R Accord

Old 02-28-2020, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, okay, but yeah, I’m thinking the 6MT V6 7th or 9th Gen is a safe bet. I’m gonna keep an eye on that 7th gen 6MT (it’s a EX Red Coupe) because it’s hard to find them unmodded or not run down.
Yeah, it took me five months and over 100 cars before I found my 2006 TL 6MT, trust me, I can sympathize how hard it is to find a clean car.

I know the early gens (3-5) are also good with the manual. Now that it’s been 25 years, who knows, I can probably order in a 4th or 5th gen Type R Accord
The older generations did in fact have manual transmissions, but none of the manual models were available with a V6 engine.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Believe it or not, there’s quite a few for sale in the East suburban Atlanta (Conyers/Covington/McDonough). I already found 3 CL Type S unmodded and bone stock, a few TL 6MTs unmodded and that V6 6MT accord (2005). Legit just searching up on Facebook market and they show up, and I can drive there, look at them, run OBD2, look at everything, ya know.

Old 02-29-2020, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Believe it or not, there’s quite a few for sale in the East suburban Atlanta (Conyers/Covington/McDonough). I already found 3 CL Type S unmodded and bone stock, a few TL 6MTs unmodded and that V6 6MT accord (2005). Legit just searching up on Facebook market and they show up, and I can drive there, look at them, run OBD2, look at everything, ya know.
Understood, the thing about "unmodded" is that some folks use that word more liberally than others.

I saw a lot of perfect candidates when I was shopping, on paper (or screen as the case may be). When I saw the car in person I would often walk around it, and immediately walk away without even driving the car. Keep us posted.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah, once I get enough saved, I’m gonna poke around and see. I might keep my accord rn, maybe add some maintenance and a few minor stuff to it and probably get a 6MT accord and post it if/when I get it

Old 02-29-2020, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, once I get enough saved, I’m gonna poke around and see. I might keep my accord rn, maybe add some maintenance and a few minor stuff to it and probably get a 6MT accord and post it if/when I get it
One distinction between the Honda version of the 6MT and the one on the Acura CL and TL, it the differential, the Honda Accord has an open differential, the Acura differentials are of the Limited Slip variety. Then there is the 2004-2008 TL with the 6MTs, they also have Brembo brakes up front.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Slightly off topic question,
If I was to get the 2005 6MT V6 Accord, I cant find any turbo kit options for it? So I’m not sure what size turbo to get (probably end up having to do a custom setup tuned for 5-8psi).

Old 03-01-2020, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Slightly off topic question,
If I was to get the 2005 6MT V6 Accord, I cant find any turbo kit options for it? So I’m not sure what size turbo to get (probably end up having to do a custom setup tuned for 5-8psi).
I do not believe there are any off-the-shelf turbo kits for any of the V6 Hondas; I know a few have tried and then quickly went out of business. Either you stay normally aspirated, or you design and engineer your own.

Quick Reply: Automatic to Manual Swap on 2002 LX V6 accord coupe