Failing IMA batteries in my 2007 Accord Hybrid - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:58 AM

Default Failing IMA batteries in my 2007 Accord Hybrid

I've got a 2007 Accord Hybrid with 198,000 miles and still going strong. I have taken very good care of this car, but unfortunately, batteries don't care about that. I had the car serviced 5 months ago because the check light would not go off. I took it to the Honda dealer, and he said the IMA batteries were still at 40%, so he didn't understand why the check light would not go off. He said to give it a few days. Well, we did, and it never went off. I never took it back to the dealer, because if that's the reason the check light is on, well, what can be done except to have those batteries replaced? I was quoted a price of $4400. I took it back to the dealer today, and he confirmed that that is the reason the check light is still on.

The problem is that I need to have the car smogged this year. I don't see why it wouldn't pass, as the IMA batteries have nothing to do with emissions. Can it be smogged with the check light on? Will a smog certification place even do it? What really gets me about this situation, is that I can't afford to replace those batteries, let alone buy a new car. Plus, any used car I might buy that costs less than what those batteries cost would not be reliable or road worthy enough for me. Anyway, where could you get a decent used car for under $5k? I searched the DMV website, and there is no exemption that I could get for this car. I'm wondering why those batteries cannot simply be disconnected and the car used as a regular Honda V-6 sedan.

I can't even sell this car the way it is now. So what I'm faced with is to find a way to pay that money for new batteries, or don't smog my car, and don't get the registration sticker. Put a car cover on it, and let it sit and deteriorate until I decide to sell it for scrap.

There's got to be another way. Any ideas for this conundrum would be appreciated.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

There are places that sell "reman" batteries for these. They are still "pricey" but might be less than what you are being quoted.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorman212 View Post
There are places that sell "reman" batteries for these. They are still "pricey" but might be less than what you are being quoted.
I watched a you tube video of a guy in California that replaced just the bad battery cells in his Prius battery pack. I don't know if Honda has a similar set up with the batteries or not though. It might be worth looking into. I think he mentioned paying something like 250 for the batteries he replaced.