New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Honda Accord 2016 Push Button Start Failed

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Default Honda Accord 2016 Push Button Start Failed

Push button won't start last night. The car initially was making a sound like it was trying to start but just would not. Break was stiff. Later on after a few more tries, the sound was not even there. The battery seems OK as I was able to turn the system on, just not the engine. Lights and radio are good too.
After about an hour, I tried bringing with me the 'spare' fob, to my delight the car started after the first push of the button ! So I thought to myself the 'primary' fob had the issue.
Fast forward to today, no issues in the morning, to work, for lunch out, back to work and then back to my house.
Now here's the bummer - I got curious if my primary fob would work - it did not. The worse was when I tried again the spare fob, that too won't work anymore. Break pedal is stiff again. It is now dejavu as last night, except that this time both the fobs won't work !
I NEED HELP PLEASE , any recommendation , has anyone experienced the same thing ? My car is still in warrantee but I want to be able to bring the car myself to dealership to have it checked rather than have someone haul it to get there.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You need a wiring diagram, but earlier models had a starter cut relay that could cause your symptoms. It was behind driver's dash lower covers.

You should also check for 12v start signal to the starter solenoid (usually a small b/w wire). Other wire to starter is a heavy gauge wire.

If 12v signal received (start commanded), then starter solenoid is problem and a new starter is necessary. If 12v missing, then relay or start switch problem.

good luck

Old 07-18-2017, 11:42 AM
Default Now at Honda Service to run diagnostics

thanks for the response ! im sure what you said are legitimate concerns/approach. however im not too knowledgeable with car electronics that i cant even begin to do what you just suggested

anyway,to the advice of a honda service advisor this morning I tried to jump start the car and it started ! drove to the shop immediately, now waiting what they have to say after the diagnostics.

will update later.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:33 PM

Dang ! That's it. Honda just replaced the battery and its now fine. If it doesn't stay that way, i'll be back on this forum ! lol..
Few take aways...
I learned that not because the battery is only a year old, it cannot be bad.
Batteries are included in b2b warrantees, i almost bought myself to save on costs. But of course everybody knew this but me, lol..
It's OK to jumpstart even if the car can still power on. I was really hesitant doing this first.
Finally Honda has free snacks while you wait ! I basically had my lunch there with doritos, protein bar, crackers and diet soda ! lol

oh btw, there's a recall on the BMS sensor so they have it replaced while i was already there.