New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Honda accord 91 will not start, need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 PM
pow3rid
Unregistered
Default Honda accord 91 will not start, need help

First I wuold like to say hi. I'm new to this forum. I have a 91 Accord that will not start. The first time it started to acting up was a few weeks ago. I have to crank several times for it to start one morning. Next time it happen was a week later. I drove to pick up some food, turn off the engine, and 3 mins later start the car but will not start. I have to crank several times and luckily it start. I thought it's time to replace distributor cap and rotor, so yesterday I replaced distributor cap and rotor. The car would start just like normal then engine shut down 3 mins later and will not start again. This is the first time it shut down while the engine is running. The engine code indicated the EGR is failing for the past 2 months but the car does run with no problem. I tested the Main Relay and very sure it's good. The ignition switch is good. I also just replaced the fuel filter. All spark plugs and ignition wires are just 6 months old. Check the fuel pump and it's also working and the car does gets fuel. Battery, starter, alternator are all good. Car will crank but will not start. The only thing is not working properly is the EGR valve but I don't think this would affect this, as I was told by my mechanic guy. So could the EGR valve failure prevent the car to start???? Please help.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Default RE: Honda accord 91 will not start, need help

I would check the ignitor. 4 gen's have always had this problem. I actually believe that it was a recall item years ago.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:59 AM
pow3rid
Unregistered

I figure that might be the problem. I realize that I don't get any spark. So it might beeitherthe ignitor or ignition coil right? Is there anyway to test them or I might just as well replace them?

Old 01-19-2007, 10:08 AM

Well you could always take off a plug cap off from the distributor and see if you can see a spark, well should probably say feel the spark, you will know instantly wether or not the ignitor is generating a spark or not.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:53 PM

Either coil or ICM.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:12 PM
pow3rid
Unregistered

I removed the distr cap, rotor and the leak cover and turned ingition a couple times but sure didn't see or feel any spark. I just bought a complete set of used distributor on fleabay model TD31U for about $43 total. Hope this will solve this issue. Will not expecting it for another week.

One more thing, I removed the distributor but forgot to pay attention to the position of the rotor. When I reinstall the distributor, there is a possibility of installing the distributor 180 degree out of time. So how can Iavoid this? What will be the symtoms if this happen? Will the car even start?

Old 01-19-2007, 08:19 PM

if you install it 180 out of time it just won't start, no real risk of harm..... I believe that most rotors are marked so they only go one way/one direction anyway...

Old 01-19-2007, 08:44 PM
pow3rid
Unregistered

Yes, there's only one way to install the rotor to the distributor shaft . However, when distributor end meet the camshaft end, it could be 180 out of time don't you think? I can rotate the distributor shaft to hit the grooves in the camshaft end, but if I rotate the distributor shaft another 180 degree, it would hit the grooves in the camshaft end again. From what I'm reading, it could make a different. How can I avoid this?