General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Honda Accord 4cyl will not start.... need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Default 2004 Honda Accord 4cyl will not start.... need help!!

I am new to the forum and I just wanted to say thanks and hello to everyone in advance!

My wife has a 2004 Honda Accord LX with a 2.4, 4cyl. The car will not start and I need your help in a bad way. I will give you the symptoms and what I have already done/figured out. I have seen similar posts on this and other forums but none of them are exactly the same problems. Here we go....

When I attempt to start the car the lights will come on in the ACC position and dim a bit before brightening back up. When I turn the key to the ON position the starter makes a faint rapid clicking noise and the internal lights go off. Nothing after that, the car will not start. The confusing part is that the car WILL start right up when jump started. The battery has been checked already and is good. Throughout my troubleshooting I noticed the positive battery cable was heavily corroded about 2 inches up past the terminal after removing the insulating sleeve. I spliced a new wire in and the issue was not affected either way.... problem is still there. Once I jump started the car and let it run for about 10 min I checked the voltage on the battery and it was at 14.3v, (which from what I understand is normal) and when the car was turned off it was at 12.3v.

I thought it was the starter at first, (once the batt checked out) and I am not so sure since it starts right up, first try with jumper cables. I have also checked the main fuses and they are not blown either. I assume it is not the alternator since the batt is obviously getting charged while the car is running.

I am out of options before having to bring it to a shop. I am a helicopter mechanic and I have been working on cars for a while but by no means have any experience on foreign cars. If I could get it narrowed down I can fix it, but I dont want to just buy parts without seeking some help first. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

God bless and thanks!

Josh

Old 08-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

I would disconnect the battery and clean all ends of both + and - battery cables.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

take it to Sears for a free 12V system check.
battery
alternator
regulator, connections maybe

from your desc., I'd guess some new non-corroded cables, connections and a new battery would cover you - but I'm poor on electrical.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:04 PM

PAhonda, thanks for the reply. I have cleaned the terminals and inspected the ends of the battery cables and there is no corrosion and all connections are tight.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:21 AM

If the battery is good, then you have an issue with the cables or connections. Be sure you are checking both cables and all ends of those cables.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:21 AM

it sounds just like what happened to my accord of same year.
its the ignition switch. costs about $50