New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Just became a HondaHead!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Just became a HondaHead!

As of today, I officially own my first car, a 1995 Honda accord EX, 2 door automatic, white, soon to be adding 2 JL audio 15" subwoofers and a 2000 watt 4 ohm RockfordFosgate amp, pretty clean, minimal wear and tear, this summer I'm planning to drop it as much as possible while still being able to go over te speed bumps in the school parking lot! I've read up on it and talked to a Honda Motörhead as of today, and it looks like I'll need to replace the 260,000 mile-old struts and buy lowering springs , and I wont be walking away with anything less than $450-500 wrapped up in suspension , I'm thinking about also painting the stock rims a white pearl, any suggestions? Pictures to come!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Administrator
Talking :) Hello New Member :)

Welcome to the haf. and thanks for joining up with us...

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Just became a HondaHead!-dropzonecoilovers3068.jpg  
Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

welcome here.
yes you will need new struts for sure
not sure how the wheels will look white as white normally looks best on thin spoke wheels and the ones you have are pretty thick -- IIRC

I do not see 15"s working in your car unless you run them in a box that is too small for them. I am running a pair of 12's and the box takes up the whole trunk. Without building a box inside the trunk (which is a total PITA) there is no way to get the proper airspace.

Also what Fosgate Amp are you going to use that produces 2,000 watts @ 4 ohms? I am pretty familiar with the whole line-up and they do not have an amp that will do that.

I am running a fosgate BD series amp and have 1,500 RMS @ 1 ohm. I strongly suggest researching what upgrades are required to run that level of power. I have done the big 3 with 1/0 wire. I have a H/O alt. 2 large runs of power wire to the rear. I run a voltage meter where my ashtray used to go to monitor voltage and I have to watch it closely in order to make sure it doesn't drop into the 12's while pounding hard. Those large Fosgate amps are power hungry.

Here is a picture of my trunk, you can see that there is no real way of getting a larger box in. Those are 2 - 12's in around 6 cubic feet tuned to 30 hz

Name:  101_3685.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  44.9 KB

Good luck and have fun with your new car and also if it is an automatic I suggest you change your trans fluid asap making sure to use only Honda fluid from the dealership

Old 02-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum

Old 02-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crispin
welcome here.
yes you will need new struts for sure
not sure how the wheels will look white as white normally looks best on thin spoke wheels and the ones you have are pretty thick -- IIRC

I do not see 15"s working in your car unless you run them in a box that is too small for them. I am running a pair of 12's and the box takes up the whole trunk. Without building a box inside the trunk (which is a total PITA) there is no way to get the proper airspace.

Also what Fosgate Amp are you going to use that produces 2,000 watts @ 4 ohms? I am pretty familiar with the whole line-up and they do not have an amp that will do that.

I am running a fosgate BD series amp and have 1,500 RMS @ 1 ohm. I strongly suggest researching what upgrades are required to run that level of power. I have done the big 3 with 1/0 wire. I have a H/O alt. 2 large runs of power wire to the rear. I run a voltage meter where my ashtray used to go to monitor voltage and I have to watch it closely in order to make sure it doesn't drop into the 12's while pounding hard. Those large Fosgate amps are power hungry.

Here is a picture of my trunk, you can see that there is no real way of getting a larger box in. Those are 2 - 12's in around 6 cubic feet tuned to 30 hz

Good luck and have fun with your new car and also if it is an automatic I suggest you change your trans fluid asap making sure to use only Honda fluid from the dealership
Hey man, I appreciate that, when I say Im a new Honda head, I really mean I'm a new Honda head with a car, I've been a honda head since I was old enough to say the word car, my dad owns a 1991 CRX si, we're currently working on it and will have pictures up real soon, as for the 15's , I've got two ideas to fit them, they're both going to work, it's just going to come down to whether I have the patience, as fr the struts and lowering springs and whatnot, what would be a good amount to lower it ? 1.5" in front ? 2" in back?

Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

well keep us posted about your build.
there is not really enough room for a 10 cubic ft box in that trunk.
Dont be one of those people who shove large subs in small boxes just to say they have them even though it sounds like poo. Where I moved from all the guys running around in Donks would put like 6-8 12's in there trunk and it sounded like azz.

As for the drop yes 1.5 in the front and 2 in the rear is pretty common.

There are some eibach springs for sale in the classified section right now - you should check them out they might be a good deal.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by crispin
well keep us posted about your build.
there is not really enough room for a 10 cubic ft box in that trunk.
Dont be one of those people who shove large subs in small boxes just to say they have them even though it sounds like poo. Where I moved from all the guys running around in Donks would put like 6-8 12's in there trunk and it sounded like azz.

As for the drop yes 1.5 in the front and 2 in the rear is pretty common.

There are some eibach springs for sale in the classified section right now - you should check them out they might be a good deal.
Yeah, I got what you're saying, I'll keep you updated on both, as of today, we put the second coat on the engine bay, it's b-e-a-utiful, he's gonna block down some soft spots, I'll have pictures tomorrow I'm sure of the CRX, his engine mounts actually melted and that's what sparked the whole tear down, the paint is outstanding to say the least, for using a rattle can, it's a nice finish, I'll check the springs , thanks for the heads up, this is my firs time even visiting a forum, much less being a part on one, my father being a car stereo installer for a rather lengthy amount of time, we're going to find what sounds best, he's also as familiar with Hondas as the bac of his hands,

We're hoping to find a pretty good deal on getting some struts installed, we've owned the car for about 7 years, and it's been an everyday driver since, it's in beautiful condition for its age and mileage, and wen we put the bra on, you'd believe she was brand new, I'm also strongly considering swapping the headlights out for accord Si lights, but 500 bucks for the head and side lamps are a bit out of reach right now, I'm planning I whiting her out completely , as the other dude stated earlier, white usually looks best on thin spokes, but , if I could get my dream rim for my car, they'd be VOLK TE37's in white, 16" on lopro, but again, that hefty $2,575 price tag is a killer! I'll keep you guys updated on every step for both cars! Later guys.