New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to Forums:Honda MaintenanceReminder: HOW IS THAT?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Default New to Forums:Honda MaintenanceReminder: HOW IS THAT?

Hello everyone,

We owned 2008 Honda Accord, shall i say unfortunately?anyways,nothing to compare with though.With the onset that we finished our prepaid preventive maintenance plan, we always rely on the reminder % oil life and follow as it says ,not once that i check on the oil level.Now, as i read something from the website of one honda dealer somewhere in Atlanta,GA
i was stunned with the question.

"
Q: Do I have to check my oil level with the Honda Maintenance Minder System?
A: Yes. The system does not sense oil level. Please follow the owner's manual recommendations for Service Station Procedures.

Wow..as if a lighting struck me that i scramble to get my keys and go to check my oil level..whew..40% oil life- dip stick half way from the full mark.
Car details: total miles : 55752 ( 4279 miles from last oil change last Feb)
QUESTION: As written in the same website, this Honda maintenance reminder system is so intellegent that it even can monitor drive cycle and YET, it can't sense oil level?which every motorist and forum heard oil level is very important in preventive maintenance.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum

More of a rant rather than a question, right?

I also noticed you said you owned a 2008 Honda, what do you own now?

Old 06-02-2012, 12:48 AM
Administrator

Hello , and have fun and learn alot in this HAF>>>

Old 06-05-2012, 12:52 AM
Default Real Questions?

Thanks for the Welcome,guys..

I apologize..if it seems like that.it is wrong gr....., still own same car. Here's the real question..i suppose..
1. what is the relation of the oil life to the oil level? Could it be like 100% oil life -in Full level, obviously as Honda tech resets it after oil change when u go to the dealer service.What happens if you do it yourself-changing oil? u have no way of resetting the Maintenance reminder.

2. Has anybody have some kind of data on the oil life and oil level relation?
i have only one so far...40% - half way on the mark, at 4700 miles.

3. what if you top off the oil to make it to the desired level, thus mixing the old and new?does the intelligent system detects it?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I can understand how it is easy to think the oil maintance system is doing something more than it really is.

If you have owned an older Honda you would remember that they also had an oil maintenance system. What it consisted of was a small colored indicator that changed from Green, to yellow, then red. That system went purely by mileage. IIFC at 5,000 miles it turned to red so you knew to change the oil.

the new system, the one you have is basically a fancy version of the same thing. However, as yours is digital vs the manual older one. Yours has one more feature that the older ones did not have, yours also monitors engine run time. This means if you drive a lot in traffic, and your engine runs more vs a car that only drives in on the highway, your oil life indicator will tell you that you need an oil change sooner.

I tried to write that in a way that was easy to understand but am not sure if I did so I will add this.

If you drain all your oil out, then fill the motor up with the most used nastiest dirtiest rancid oil you can find. Your Honda Maintenance System would tell you that you had 100% oil life remaining.

it is just a 'timer' system, it does not actually 'monitor' anything. It has no sensors in the motor, it does not know what is really happening with the oil.

You bought into (and I am sure just about everyone else) Hype and advertising.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

The oil-life monitor keeps track of your driving habits, so it's better than a simple milage reminder. You don't have to guess whether you're driving normal, or severe, or somewhere in between.
- How many miles were "city" type driving
- How many miles were "highway" type driving
- How many times did you start the engine
- How long did the engine idle without moving ANY miles
- etc...

That calculation is a good way to estimate the lifespan of your oil. There's additives in the oil for corrosion and other things; they get used up as you drive the car.

But Crispin is right, it doesn't actually MEASURE anything about the oil. You could leave the old oil in there, or fill it with water; and reset the maintenance-minder to 100%. That calculation won't know the difference.

And checking your oil INVENTORY with the dipstick is something else altogether. You still have to do that. That's completely different than the oil "lifespan".

Old 06-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Default Service oil reset maintenance required Honda

Hello all, I can only help you to show you how you can reset oil service or reset maintenance required for Honda.

Find how do you can reset service light or turn off board light maintenance indicator when errors like, oil change, check engine, change intervol of inspection, airbag light, inspection key, when maint reqd, appear on board computer display. For Honda car models, Honda S2000, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Prelude, Honda Pilot, Honda Odyssey, Honda Insight, Honda Fit, Honda Element, Honda CRX, Honda CR-V, Honda Crosstour, Honda Civic, Service oil reset Honda Accord, How do you reset the maintenance required light Honda Accord .

http://resetservicelight.com/categor...e-light-honda/

Last edited by vipercarcom; 04-21-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Administrator
Talking

Originally Posted by vipercarcom
Hello all, I can only help you to show you how you can reset oil service or reset maintenance required for Honda.

Find how do you can reset service light or turn off board light maintenance indicator when errors like, oil change, check engine, change intervol of inspection, airbag light, inspection key, when maint reqd, appear on board computer display. For Honda car models, Honda S2000, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Prelude, Honda Pilot, Honda Odyssey, Honda Insight, Honda Fit, Honda Element, Honda CRX, Honda CR-V, Honda Crosstour, Honda Civic, Service oil reset Honda Accord, How do you reset the maintenance required light Honda Accord .

Honda service light reset
Good link to see how to do this.
WheelBrokerAng
Thank You!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 AM

with pleasure, I'm glad I could be helpful