General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Honda's and Forums... General maintenance/DIY project help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 01:26 AM
Smile New to Honda's and Forums... General maintenance/DIY project help?

Hello fellow Forum members,

My name is Cyrus and I'm a noobie to everything Honda. I just purchased a 1992 Honda Accord LX with an automatic transmission today for $800. It is a light blue sedan with the F22A1 engine. Body is 7 out of 10, paint is 6 out of 10, interior is 8 out of 10. The drive-train seems solid, brakes are fine, all lights work, heat and A/C work, and only has 156,xxx miles. It does have some problems that I will be fixing over time.

Today (03-01-12), I am getting the windshield replaced for $200. It was cracked from an act of vandalism, not an accident. I also plan on giving it a basic tune up, and new air filter for about $100.

Tomorrow (03-02-12), I plan on having exhaust from the headers back replaced because it's super old, and the hangers shake at an idle. Have a friend who will do it for $100. An oil change and multi-point inspection will also be done this day. After I get it back from the shop, ill give it a well needed detailing.

So after the before said work, is there any other maintenance, or things I should look for? I'm open to anything, because I have no clue about Honda's at all really.

Thanks in advance,
The Virus

Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome. I'll move this over to Gen/Tech because it's about maintenance. The new-user area is mostly for welcome & introduction stuff.

What do you know about maintenance history? Here's a couple things that are easy to overlook.
- fresh antifreeze every couple years
- fresh brake fluid every couple years
- drain & fill transmission fluid (Hondas don't like being "power-flushed")
- new timing belt every ??? (not sure if it's 60k or 100k miles for a 92) or 7 years
- suspension alignment?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure where to post this thread at, so I just took a guess.

Responding to your questions, it was owned by a older gentleman till 90,xxxmiles. Ge kept regular maintenance up to date and recorded it in the owners manual. The last couple owners unfortunately neglected the car.

When I brought my car into my favorite auto shop, they found that my radiator was shot, and my valve cover gasket needed replaced badly. I had them fix both of those things and give it an oil change which cost roughly $400. Ouch.. but it needed to be done. They cleaned the entire engine off and said they found no more oil leaking off the engine. Just a small drip from my oil pan. They also said my suspension was very tight.

I also had the windshield replacef yesterday for $220. The next things on my list are the following...

New exhast from the flexpipe back. Using a flowmaster muffler.
New oil pan gasket.
Plugs, wires, and cap.
K,N drop in airfilter.
Fixing front two power windows(motors are shot). Both back ones work.

I do have a question as of right now though. My radio, and cigarette lighter both are getting absolutely no power to them. I found both the underhood fuse box and drivers side fusebox. Neither of the diagrams show a fuse for "radio/stereo", "accessories", or "cigarette lighter". I'm really confused. All my other lights work. Including my interior clock. Would you happen to know what fuse is for the radio and the cigarette lighter? Or do you think its another problem?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:13 PM

I'm sorry for any misspelled words. I posted off of my phone lol

Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

So the new radiator probably means you got fresh antifreeze, so cross that one off.

I don't have wiring drawings for 1992 (for fuses). Maybe someone will chime in, meanwhile do you have the owner's manual? Fuse list is in there.

Originally Posted by CyrustheVirus
I'm sorry for any misspelled words. I posted off of my phone lol
Look for a website called something like "damnyouautocorrect". Hilarious.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

From a 90 Accord manual, there two fuses which could disable the cigaretter lighter, Fuse 22 (under hood) and fuse 11 (under dash).

Fuse 11 also powers stereo radio, so 11 seems most likely.

I believe there is a 92 Accord download manual at Online Manuals post in DIY forum.

good luck

Old 03-04-2012, 10:20 PM

Sorry for the late response guys.

I replaced by 11 and 22 fuses in their respected places and it didn't help :/.

I'm gonna have a friend take my radio out and we're gonna check the wires there.

As for the rest of the car, I plan on checking the fluids and going from there. I plan on doing an tranny drain and refill with flesh fluid.

Any ideas on what else could be wrong with the radio? It is a aftermarket one.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

If the fuse is good, you are going to have to do some investigation.....

Attached Thumbnails New to Honda's and Forums... General maintenance/DIY project help?-4th-gen-radio.jpg  
Old 03-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Time to break out the dmm or run dedicated wiring seperatly fuses for the radio circuit.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:26 PM

Me and my friend are going to try and find the radio problem within the next couple days.

I plan on buying an air filter, plugs, wires, o-ring for distributor cap, and brake fluid for the car next friday when I get paid..

If anything else comes up I will be sure to post it on here.