General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

General Maintenance 98 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:13 AM
cbc2000
Unregistered
Default General Maintenance Question

Hi,

Is it important to get the brake fluid flushed?
Also about oil should I go with a name brand like mobil or is supertech brand ok? I will definitely be switching to 5w30 when it is due and might even try 5w20. Also I was told the power steering pump was leaking fluid onto the belts below it but the reservoir does not seem to get low that fast. Also was thinking about new spark plugs.

I have not changed the spark plugs,O2 sensor, or given it a tune up but it is getting pretty good gas mileage as it is and passed inspection.

Basically I am just wondering what I should do to get the most out of the car in case I am not aware of something I should be doing. Thanks.

Last edited by cbc2000; 03-13-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome new member!

Yeah, I would have used 5w-30 oil. Actually, Honda has retroactively changed the spec for that car to 5w-20.
I've heard good things about that SuperTech oil on bobistheoilguy dot com but I haven't tried it yet.

Fresh brake fluid every 2 years. As it absorbs moisture from the air, it gets more corrosive. How important is it to you that your brakes work? Especially if you're driving behind ME.

New spark plugs aren't too expensive, I would do that. Get NGK, or maybe Denso. Hondas dont seem to like Bosch or others. Spark timing is controlled by a sensor on the crankshaft so it's not adjustable.

The ECU seems to be pretty good at detecting a sluggish O2 sensor & throwing a CEL for it.

Clean up the PS fluid & keep looking for leaks. Maybe it's the low-pressure hose from the reservoir to the pump; that would be easy to fix.

What about the cabin-air filter?
Suspension alignment?