New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New from MD. In need of advice bigtime!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:37 PM
dbrockafella
Unregistered
Angry New from MD. In need of advice bigtime!

I live in MD but purchased a vehicle in NY (Syracuse). It was an internet sale (craigslist). The dealer did not have the vehicle safety inspected, as required by NY state law, since this was an internet transaction. Upon inspection when brought back to MD, it was noticed that all brake lines have been previously replaced, very very poorly (hanging on by plastic ties) and are nearly completed rusted out (typical, from upstate NY winters). Also needs LT outer tie rod, 4 tires, front brake pads/rotors/bearings/sway bar bushings. And has fuel line leak (in same area as rusted brake lines, along floor on LT rear of vehicle). Over $2000 needed to pass inspection. Do I have legal recourse here? Can I sue the dealer, or is he protected since it was an internet sale to an out-of-state buyer? Is anyone familiar with the law? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to spend $2000 to fix this junker. Thanks for any help!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:59 AM
Administrator
Exclamation Hello New Member

We'd beter leave that one go to an attorney...

Welcome to the forums...

Old 09-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, your legal recourse probably depends on state law. Most of us here won't know...

Old 09-23-2009, 06:33 PM
dbrockafella
Unregistered
Default PS

The vehicle is 1996 Honda Accord LX 4dr 4 cyl, 99k miles. I am currently in negotiations w/the seller. I'll keep you posted. Hoping I dont have to retain an atty to settle this...

Old 09-25-2009, 01:59 AM
Administrator

Tell the guy you want to settle out of court before it even has to go to court..maybe that will let him know your serious...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 09-27-2009, 09:01 PM
dbrockafella
Unregistered

Update: I called the seller in NY who advised he would replace brake pads and rotors, but he required that his mechanic complete the job and I would be required to drive it back to NY to do so. I decided to take it to a guy I work with (former Honda tech who is still certified)(I work at a body shop), who advised he and his brother could complete the work for me, on the side, for a fraction of the cost. So I went and purchased all the parts myself (got the shop discount and purchased aftermarket parts). Long story short, everything was fixed for $250 cash labor and roughly $600 parts. This incls 4 tires, front brake rotors, pads, new brake lines all the way back, sway bar links, LT outer tie rod, roughly 2 ft of fuel line, and a used fuel tank. All done in 1 long day of repairs and trips to NAPA, Pep Boys, and the junkyard. The vehicle will now breeze through a tough MD state inspection after I have it aligned tomorrow. I also purchased the timing belt, water pump, and some of the seals ($195 for Honda OEM parts) and my coworker will change those later on this week. After that I may have the transmission flushed (shifts a little rough), but other than that, the vehicle should be good to go. Crisis averted, for approx. 50% of full shop cost. After all is said and I done, I will have approx $1200 repairs added to the $3200 purchase price, but the vehicle will easily last another 100,000 miles. I am not going to go through the hassle of a lawyer and trips back and forth to NY for repairs. Thanks to everyone for the advice and I look forward to more posts in the future! I sure do love my little Accord! Especially after this ordeal. Just needed a little TLC. 1996 LX auto 4 dr sedan 4 cyl motor.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Default Take a friend

I think next time you buy another second hand car take your helpful friend with you.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Peter Lawrence
I think next time you buy another second hand car take your helpful friend with you.
+1

or take it to an independent shop in that area to have it checked out.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:01 AM
99maxi
Unregistered

It wouldn't hurt to show the seller the bills for all the parts and see if he is willing to pay for some on it.