New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Member - Should I flush coolant on my used 95 accord lx?

Old 03-25-2016, 06:56 PM
Lightbulb New Member - Should I flush coolant on my used 95 accord lx?

Purchased a used 95 accord LX in december of 2015. 79k miles. Was driving around today and the temp gauge was above the mid line.

Noticed the coolant reservoir was below min. No leaks. Changed oil 1.5k miles ago. Probably good idea to flush reservoir and radiator since I don't know what's in there, right?

Would be my first time doing this and would like to take it on myself. Can I use any standard green coolant/antifreeze or should I stick with the recommended honda brand?

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails New Member - Should I flush coolant on my used 95 accord lx?-img_1879.jpg  
Old 03-26-2016, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF.

I'd want to verify there are no leaks, many parts stores will loan out a pressure tester where you can pressurize the cooling system and inspect for leaks.

Once you re-verify that there are no leaks, yes you can replace the coolant with many of the quality "standard green" type coolants. If it was me I'd replace the thermostat with a new OE stat while doing this.

Then be sure to properly bleed all of the air from the cooling system....air pockets in there will cause all kinds of strange things.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:41 AM

Hey Poorman212,

Thanks for the response. Got the system checked for leaks and the techs at the shop found nothing. They actually refused to do a flush there out of fear of damaging the radiator and causing leaks. Seemed odd, but either way I flushed the coolant out myself and replaced it.

Haven't seen the car overheat since but it wasn't as cold as the day when it had initially overheated so we'll see. Also did not change the thermostat - kind of regretting it now but hoping there's no problem there.

Is there a way to test if the thermostat is broken without removing it?

I also noticed water dripping from the exhaust when warming up. Is this normal? A bad sign?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by jonagua
I also noticed water dripping from the exhaust when warming up. Is this normal? A bad sign?

Thanks in advance.
Unless the water is pouring out in a stream, then some dripping is perfectly normal and no cause for concern.

Gasoline is made up of carbon and hydrogen. When you burn it, it combines with oxygen to form carbon dioxide and water. In the combustion chamber, that water is a gas (steam). If the exhaust system is cold, some of the water will condense to form liquid water, and that's what you see coming from the exhaust.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Only way to test the t-stat is by removing it. And just me but the OE t-stats are worth the extra $'s in this situation so I would go with one of those if it were me.

I would want to inspect the cooling fans.

IF the AC in the car works, turn it on and verify BOTH cooling fans on the rad are running.

If the AC is not working, remove the green connector from the t-stat housing - where the lower rad hose connects to the engine. Use a piece of wire or paper clip and jump the wire side of the connector together and then turn the key to "on"/pos II. Again BOTH fans should come on.