New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Return to Accord (warning: long post)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:07 PM
BlueJazzWing
Unregistered
Default Return to Accord (warning: long post)

Greetings! I recently bought a lease return '04 LX sedan with just over 48K and am very happy with it. I first fell in love with Accords back in '88, when I was looking at the Prelude. Bank said they wouldn't finance, salesman steered me to a DX model, which I quickly took to. Not bad for my first NEW car! Many years and miles passed, during which time I traveled through the entire eastern seaboard and midwest as the Navy moved me from place to place. My sister, out of the kindness of her heart, taught my then-girlfriend to drive a stick in that car (unbeknownst to me while I was at work), but they never fully confessed tothe total number ofcurbs they jumped in the process... I ended up giving the Accord to my ex when we divorced in '96, and I traded "her" '94 Plymouth Laser for a '96 Dodge Ram. I liked the cargo capacity of the Ram, but I missed my Accord! I swore that when Honda made a full size truck, I would buy it, but now that they have the Ridgeline, I can't justify dumping the paid-for Ram for another truck that gets the same mileage. Oh well, eventually, I'll get one, along with an 1800 Goldwing!
I have a few goals for the LX: 1) replace the steel wheels with the EX alloy rims. 2) find out why my LX came with (one) DX key (non-remote type), and how or if I can buy an LX key blank and have it encoded for my car.3) find out how to activate the remote trunk release (answer is probably found in quest #2) and find out if you can activate the "all windows down" with the key remote. 4) find out the difficulty of installing the outside temperature sensor which the OwnerLink website says is available from the dealer. Very small goals, but I'm really quite happy with the newest member of my family. I'm sure I'll find the answers to these questions as I search the forum history, and I look forward to hearing from all of you!

Old 06-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Return to Accord (warning: long post)

The non-remote key is probably the valet key. It won't open the trunk or the glovebox. The car would have come with 2 normal remote keys and the valet key.

Remote trunk release - hold down the button for a few seconds. It doesn't pop immediately. That's not a bug, it's a FEATURE.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:10 AM
BlueJazzWing
Unregistered

Thanks, Jim. Actually, the onekey (non-remote, black) they gave me is a "master"; operates all the locks. Before I left the dealership, I asked them to cut me a valet key, and the key I then got was gray in color, and will operate only the ignition and the door lock. The dealer had installed their own alarm system, which has a remote fob to which my key is attached to. The alarm remote has a button marked "option", but it doesn't open the trunk. If I can't get a "real" key from the dealer, would you know if one of the blank keys found on ebay would work? I don't see why it wouldn't, once I programmed it to the car (and had it cut, of course).

Old 06-24-2007, 09:23 PM

Welcome. Good to see I'm not the only one here with an Accord, Ram and a Honda motorcycle! All great vehicles although I need a bigger bike. I HATE kickstart!

Old 06-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

That's kind of funny, since our '03 is an LX and it came with 2 integrated remote/keys and 1 valet key.There's no 'option' button, just lock, unlock, trunk, & panic.

Got an owner's manual?

Old 06-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Guindalf
Unregistered

I found H and A to be extremely good on price for aftermarket OEM parts. I just bought a cargo tray for the wife's new '07 CV-V and paid around $75 instead of the dealer's $105.

A great feature of the site is that every product includes a link to the installation instructions, so you can see exactly what's needed before you buy (and how long they estimate it should take).

As for the key, it sounds like the original fobs have been lost at some point. The key you have is definitely aftermarket. It may be difficult to get the code to replace the electronic fobs, but I'd try the original dealer. They are supposed to keep that information. They may make you jump through hoops to prove you're the legitimate owner, but they're your best bet. Then I'd contact H&A with the number.

Good luck.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:19 PM
rprol
Unregistered

Were you able to find out how difficult the outside temp sensor is to install?