New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Took me long enough

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM
Default Took me long enough

Hello Everyone,

I have to say that I don't know why I am just now joining this site. I have been a long time Honda Accord owner for almost 30 years. I have owned a 1987 LXi, 1997 LX, 1999 EX, 2005 EX and I just bought a 2007 VP/LX with only 37,000 miles on it. All my past Hondas were solid. The 2005 EX transmission went out at 125K miles (My fault maybe for flushing the transmission?). I traded it in for a 2008 Pilot (now with 150K miles and running strong). I needed a daily driver so I just got the 2007 Accord. I hope to pick yall's brains while I am here & maybe y'all can do the same. Looking forward to all this plethora of knowledge.

Colin

Old 05-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Longdraw
Hello Everyone,

I have to say that I don't know why I am just now joining this site. I have been a long time Honda Accord owner for almost 30 years. I have owned a 1987 LXi, 1997 LX, 1999 EX, 2005 EX and I just bought a 2007 VP/LX with only 37,000 miles on it. All my past Hondas were solid. The 2005 EX transmission went out at 125K miles (My fault maybe for flushing the transmission?). I traded it in for a 2008 Pilot (now with 150K miles and running strong). I needed a daily driver so I just got the 2007 Accord. I hope to pick yall's brains while I am here & maybe y'all can do the same. Looking forward to all this plethora of knowledge.

Colin
Welcome!

Regarding a transmission failure after a flush, yeah, add your name to the long list of Honda owners (and other makes too) who've had their transmissions flushed and then experienced a failure not too long afterwards.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Welcome!

Regarding a transmission failure after a flush, yeah, add your name to the long list of Honda owners (and other makes too) who've had their transmissions flushed and then experienced a failure not too long afterwards.
Yeah that's what I figured. To top it off I did get a recall notice on the transmission 2 months later. SMH!!

Old 05-21-2019, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

In a small way, dealers can confuse the issue - sometimes they talk about "flushing" when they actually do a drain/fill.

The transmissions don't get along well with a power-flushing machine and part of it is probably the different fluids that are used in a lot of those machines.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
In a small way, dealers can confuse the issue - sometimes they talk about "flushing" when they actually do a drain/fill.

The transmissions don't get along well with a power-flushing machine and part of it is probably the different fluids that are used in a lot of those machines.
On a different Honda related board (Acura actually), I've heard lots of horror stories regarding the machine flush, even from Honda/Acura dealers. The prevailing thought is the machine flush does so by forcing the ATF backwards through the transmission; this in turn does two things (both bad), it loosens up deposits which formed from the normal flow direction, and it messes with sensitive internal valves.

I've never disassembled post-flush 4AT or 5AT unit which are infamous for failures, so I can only relay what I've read on other forums.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by JimBlake

Originally Posted by shipo
On a different Honda related board (Acura actually), I've heard lots of horror stories regarding the machine flush, even from Honda/Acura dealers. The prevailing thought is the machine flush does so by forcing the ATF backwards through the transmission; this in turn does two things (both bad), it loosens up deposits which formed from the normal flow direction, and it messes with sensitive internal valves.

I've never disassembled post-flush 4AT or 5AT unit which are infamous for failures, so I can only relay what I've read on other forums.
Yeah I found out the hard way. Just like in my 1987 Accord LXi I used regular power steering fluid, boy that was a lesson learned, had to replace the rack some time later. Honda is specific when it comes to fluids. So I keep my Honda fluids in a nice cool place (inside the house)

Old 05-24-2019, 01:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hello, Maybe I am lucky with our 03 accord that now has 277,000 on it. The trans somewhere about 150,000 I un-hooked the output line then ran the car while running out the fluid at the same time filling back what was coming out. This method worked well for me with No problems at all, the cars trans still running strong at 277.000+. Like what was said above flushing something thats been on the road for multiple thousands of miles is not the right thing to do, "only my thoughts here" is power flushing is down right asking for a problem, not real smart in my book.

Last edited by babcock9er; 05-27-2019 at 10:03 PM.