New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

VTEC swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 02:45 AM
Default VTEC swap

Hello all! I’m new to this forum. I hope everyone has or is transforming their Honda’s how they want them.
i have a few
questions to anyone who wants to chime in.

i have a 96 Accord ex 2.2 non VTEC manual trans.I was thinking of swapping out my current engine for a VTEC. Anyone have in put on which is the best engine? I was just going to go for a 2.2 VTEC from the same year. I was told I could just swap the non VTEC head for the VTEC head and that’d work. I’m not sure if that’s true or not. Don’t want to go all crazy and fanatical with it. Not looking to race. Just looking to speed on the back roads for fun.
where is there a trustworthy place to buy a VTEC engine plus parts?
should I buy a completely rebuilt one or buy a used then have it rebuilt?
What else should I upgrade if I go VTEC?

Also How have you guys been keeping thief’s from breaking in your cars? I have a bar that locks the brake and steering wheel so they can’t take the care. I don’t have an alarm at the moment I probably should invest in one. I pulled the fuse for the power locks and that seemed to keep them out.
im very interested in how you’ve all upgraded yours.

Thank you for any feedback that comes this way.
Honda’s for life

Old 05-18-2019, 02:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Yochanan
Hello all! I’m new to this forum. I hope everyone has or is transforming their Honda’s how they want them.
i have a few
questions to anyone who wants to chime in.

i have a 96 Accord ex 2.2 non VTEC manual trans.I was thinking of swapping out my current engine for a VTEC. Anyone have in put on which is the best engine? I was just going to go for a 2.2 VTEC from the same year. I was told I could just swap the non VTEC head for the VTEC head and that’d work. I’m not sure if that’s true or not. Don’t want to go all crazy and fanatical with it. Not looking to race. Just looking to speed on the back roads for fun.
where is there a trustworthy place to buy a VTEC engine plus parts?
should I buy a completely rebuilt one or buy a used then have it rebuilt?
What else should I upgrade if I go VTEC?

Also How have you guys been keeping thief’s from breaking in your cars? I have a bar that locks the brake and steering wheel so they can’t take the care. I don’t have an alarm at the moment I probably should invest in one. I pulled the fuse for the power locks and that seemed to keep them out.
im very interested in how you’ve all upgraded yours.

Thank you for any feedback that comes this way.
Honda’s for life
Where are you located? I don't even lock my car up at night, but then I live out in the country.
My 97 Accord 5 speed had a 2.2 non VTEC engine in it, that ran great. My 99 with a 2.3L and 5 speed w/VTEC runs great as well. I can barely tell when the VTEC "kicks in" yo. It's supposed to come in at 3K, but I hardly notice it. In fact I notice it more in my wife's 00 Accord with AT than I do with the stick.
That said, you'd either need a VTEC head or complete engine, the wiring harness for it, and the ECU for the VTEC set up. Keep in mind that since you have a 96, you also have OBD II, so you'll need a head or engine from a 96 or 97.
If I were looking at doing this, I'd look for the ECU first, then the wiring harness (engine side to the ECU) to make it plug and play, then I'd look for an engine, or a head, and rebuild it (or have it rebuilt). If what you're really looking for is a little more grunt off line, you might want to look for an "H" series transmission, as it'll give you close ratio gears, and a shorter 5th gear (will cause the engine to rev more at speed), as the Accord trans is designed for mileage, and low revs.
I hope this helps, and welcome to the forums.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:46 PM

I live in Northern California!!! Not in the country yet!!!! But I’m trying to get there!!! Lol!!!! Hope you’re enjoying the country life! I can’t wait!!!!!
ive moved from the apartments my car was getting broken into. Man! They took everything!! All my CD’s and my radio that I just had gotten for my birthday. They didn’t get the brand new kicker speakers though!Yeah that hurt the most.
thank you for your response. I’m going to look into everything you suggested.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:26 PM

A ex with a non-vtec engine? I thought all ex models came with a f22b1 engine..

Old 05-20-2019, 05:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by hondaslave1342
A ex with a non-vtec engine? I thought all ex models came with a f22b1 engine..
Might be a California deal. Or someone swapped the rear emblems.