New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Weirdy one for sure!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Question Weirdy one for sure!

Hi all; I'm from the UK and drive a 2003 Accord Executive 2.0L.

I bought it 2nd hand with only 21,000 miles on the clock 3 years ago, and am only now booking the 60,000 mile service, which isn't too shabby for an 8 year old car!

The weird thing is the wheels. I am going to have to shell out soon for some new tyres, I bought it with brand new ones pre-fitted and this will be the first time I've needed to change them (Michelin Energy's in case anybody wants to know what a 40,000 mile tyre looks like).

Accord(ing) to the vehicle log book it should be fitted with 16 or 17" 225/45s, but mine has 15" 195/25s on it which is just weird!

I have always thought the wheels seemed a little too small for a muscular vehicle, now it looks as if my suspicions were right all along!

Does anybody know somewhere good to get hold of a decent set that are the right size? Preferably based in the UK & original Honda style if not too much to ask?

Thanks very much for helping out and reading this thread people...

Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 PM

The first place I would look is Craigslist, pretty sure you have that over in the UK right? You can also go to a pull it yard and see if they're selling any stock wheels for your car, sometimes they have them. Odd that someone would put smaller wheels on that car

Old 09-20-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Peli
The first place I would look is Craigslist, pretty sure you have that over in the UK right? You can also go to a pull it yard and see if they're selling any stock wheels for your car, sometimes they have them. Odd that someone would put smaller wheels on that car
Thanks Pal; appreciate the heads-up. Since leaving the original post I have learned that the weirdo who fitted them really did me a favour...as although I may look like a nonce in a stationary vehicle: once I'm doing 10KPH nobody would ever know! Plus it saves me $200 each time I have to replace the rubbers.

Looks like I'll be getting the Michelin Energy's again (proper speed rating this time, must have been an older guy!). Good all round performance and braking ability+50,000 theoretical maximum miles+$35 a tyre=Sale!

They're no Conti/Pirelli/Firestone but with so many speed cameras in the UK: these tyres don't only pay for themselves once!!!

Old 09-20-2011, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Outside of the right strangeness of that, maybe the previous owner got 15" wheels for winter/snow tires. Then he kept the bigger wheels for himself for his next car...?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Administrator
Talking

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Outside of the right strangeness of that, maybe the previous owner got 15" wheels for winter/snow tires. Then he kept the bigger wheels for himself for his next car...?

That's what I was thinking also Jim...

Old 09-21-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I actually have a friend who did this. Car came with nice wheels on it, found out they would fit the car he was buying, so he bought a set of steelies with cheap tires on them when he decided to sell the car. Didn't change the sale price of his car either. He ended up selling the wheels off the car he bought and made around $200 off the whole thing

Old 09-22-2011, 05:09 AM
Cool Progress so far...

Hello again everybody;

Thanks for the support, it's annoying that someone would do that but like you say if money is the motivating factor...

Looks like I am going for the old "switcheroo" and swapping the front wheels for the back wheels as the fronts are almost illegal. Having the back ones changed for some brand new Energys and trying to squeeze another 10,000 KM out of the "backs"(now fronts).

I wanted to go for 205/65 94T on 15", but I have rung around EVERY tire place in my local area and they only stock 195/65 94T on 15"!?

Ironically the guy at the tire place was puzzled as to why I had 15" wheels; to quote him verbatim "Oh yours is an estate?". Classic!