New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Why buy Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 11:45 AM
Son of GM
Unregistered
Default RE: Why buy Honda?

I have test driven the Pontiac G6 and the Honda Accord Ex with V6. They handle very similiar but I would have to give the win the Honda. The car had a extra bit of quality feel to it. It had that thump when you closed a door or the hood that sounded like a BMW!

The honda dealer offered free tires and oil changes for life but all maintenance had to be performed t the dealer. That sounded expensive. The honda has a timing belt...he said that it was good for until the first tuneup at 100K miles. Is that true?

I negotiated with both dealers but walked out of both. The pontiac dealer low balled me on the trade in. Offered $2200 on a car that Kelly Blue Book said was $4150. The Honda dealer offered $1500 initially but went up to $3000 as we were walking out. I told both that the lowest I would go would be $3500. I know that the car is not perfect and I took that into consideration when I went down to $3500.

Old 12-21-2004, 01:45 PM

Since the G6 is brand new I would be cautious of the 1st year model bugs that have not been worked out yet. On the other hand the 7th generation Accord has been in production since 2003 and has established itself as among the very best for decades. It also gets the top rating for crash tests. I just don't see where there is any comparison between the two.

What's up with the foot long horizontal scroll here to read a message??

Old 12-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Son of GM
Unregistered

I think it was because I was replying to the post, not the massage. I am such a newb.

I had the same concerns on the G6. Sharp car, but GM is know for their crappy electronics. The steering is a new electronic deal sorta like the fly by wire that is offered on airplanes. I would hate for that to go out while we are crusing down I-85 at 70mph!

The honda dealer just emailed me. They offered $3200 towards the trade now. Now, the drive out price for the Accord EXw/leather is $22668

Old 12-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Son of GM
Unregistered

I got my Graphite Pearl V6 Accord LX today. After four hours at the dealer...its mine. They did not trust me over the two days, and reevaluated the trade in. Now I have to fight the wife over it!

Old 12-23-2004, 12:22 PM

COOL! Let her drive it and the fight's over.

Old 01-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Unregistered

Tell em 3500 or nuthin

Old 01-06-2005, 11:29 PM
maxst2
Unregistered

All i have ever owned and will own is honda.

First car was a 79 civic...beater car....but IT WOULD NOT DIE. Had to do obvious repairs since it was sitting for awhile and is nearing 30 years old. Not to mention it went through snow like a 4x4- no joke

Current car- 94 accord ex 4 door. 4 banger, with header and catback, gets 30mph. I love it. If i had to get another car it would be a newer accord, with a V6.

Congrats on purchase...it shouldnt let you down.

Old 01-14-2005, 11:47 PM
Unregistered

hello SON OF GM.. I recently bought a new Honda Accord after years of Toyota ownership..and a couple of american cars before... handed down from my dad. The best arguement for buying a Honda is this...The Honda is an APPLIANCE of a car. It will run forever... just take care of your car and your car will take care of you.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:02 AM
HarlanB
Unregistered

Son of GM,
I have a 94 Honda accord that I bought used with 13000 miles.
I now have 180000 miles on the car and the only thing that has gone wrong was the oxygen senser needed
to be replaced.
Honda's are reliable, Easy to drive, and all around great cars.
It is my opinion that Honda's are the best car for the money.
My Honda is still in great shape, and I plan on getting another 100000 out of it.
You will not be sorry if you buy a Honda.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

1998-2002 accords have the following MAJOR trouble spots in I4 trim

Transmission
OPDS

in V6 trim

Transmission
AC/Delco alternator
OPDS

Various other problems related to suspension, squeaks, rattles, rear disk brakes weark VERY FAST....

7th Gen Cars are not out long enough to know their long term reliability. However since they share the same basic trans design as the Acura CL/TL and require the SAME 2nd gear fix, I would guess to say that those cars will NOT have the reliability of pre '98 accords but will not be as bad as the 98-02 ones

common complaints

radio backlights quit working (generally covered under Goodwill)
V6 brakes tend to warp easily especially if you're hard on them.
headliner rattles