Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

1999 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 05:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
I grew up north of Detroit, and until about a year ago still had family in Oakland County. My brother just sold the Royal Oak house he raised his kids in and bought a 30 acre farm out in Brooklyn. I haven't calculated the difference yet, but I suspect going through Port Huron is no longer the short-cut from New Hampshire it once was. Maybe going through Detroit might be a bit quicker than going through Toledo, but then again, going through Ohio eliminates queuing for the tolls and customs. Not sure how I'll do it next time.
Well, going thru Canada from Port Huron to Niagara Falls used to be a 3 hour trip. Staying in the US, and paying for tolls in Ohio and NY, along with the run to Niagara Falls is about 5 hours from Port Huron. When I go to Texas, I take I-69 to Fort Wayne and points south. It's 2 1/4 hours to Jackson, and about 10 miles further than going thru Detroit (same amount of time though). I live where I-94 and I-69 meet, just outside Port Huron (about 1 mile from either one).
When I went to visit my uncle in CT, it used to a 12 hour run going thru Canada, but is about 14 hour run staying in the USA now. Of course those times thru Canada have changed due to Customs holding things up, and passing thru 2 of the 3 busiest International border crossings with Canada (Detroit (#2) is busier than Port Huron (#3)). Last time I went thru Sarnia,Ont, we spent 45 minutes just getting up to customs, only to be sent to the room of doom for another 20 minutes. I was glad we were in an empty pick up truck that day (was picking up some car parts). Getting back into the USA was easier than getting into Canada. I haven't been back thru since.