Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

2013 Accord EX-L V6 road trip

Old 12-29-2013, 05:44 AM
Default 2013 Accord EX-L V6 road trip

Just got back from a trip from TX to NC in my 13 Accord. First time I have made a major trip in it. All in all it was a good ride considering the trunk was packed to the gills along with 4 adults (3 women...ughhh...where's the next rest area, etc.)

I had this sucker in the wind. For many miles and hours (when I could) the cruise was set on 80 mph with the Econ mode engaged. There was a good bit of city driving in the total miles listed below.

There are 2 annoying things about this car.

#1. the steering wheel controls for the cruise control functions and the audio control functions should swap sides. The cruise stuff should be on the left and the audio controls should be on the right. I drive mostly with my left hand and it would be far preferable to adjust speed up and down with my left thumb than to take my relaxing right hand and move it up to the right side of the wheel to make those adjustments. You may think that is laziness but I think many would agree with me.

#2. The drivers seat was killing my back after an all night trip. Adjusted constantly but to no avail. Maybe it was just me.

All in all the car did great. Was responsive when you pushed the gas and handled like a charm.

The stats:
2845 miles
96.11 total gallons of gas used (I only use Shell or Exxon regular)
$304.25 total spent on gas (NC has the highest gas prices of all that I drove through).
I figured that the avg. MPG was 29.6 but the car trip recorder showed I did 30.6.
Not bad for running it hard fully loaded.

Hey Honda...are you listening?
REVERSE THE CONTROL BUTTONS ON THE STEERING WHEEL !!!!!!!!

Old 01-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Yea, we do seem to be a bit high on gas prices here in NC. I drove from NC to western TN. Cross the NC to TN tate line and prices drop ~.25 per gallon?

It maybe the set up, we use the Pilot as the "road trip" car. When driving it, road trips are the only time I get to as it is the "wife's car", I rest my right elbow on the console and my hand on the wheel.

I'm right handed, are you left handed? Just asking as I could tell you a funny story about the 1967 (? I think it was 67, might be 68) Ford pick-up trucks .....An engineer that worked a Ford then, who is a personal friend of mine. When he was deciding where to put the ignition switch, well he put it to the left of the steering wheel because he felt that was the best place....he is left handed

Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 AM

I am right handed but tend to drive with my left. All other vehicles that I have owned or driven have had the cruise controls on the left. I'm not sure who's bright idea it was to place them on the right.

Your story about the engineer sounds like he was using engineer privilege. I remember those trucks!

And as an added point, how much more busy can they make the steering wheels these days?