Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Might be taking a long road trip-need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:17 PM
Default Might be taking a long road trip-need advice!

I have the option of not having to work for the next few months. How awesome is that?

I'm not rich. How bad does that suck?

I live in Pa and it's snowing. That sucks. Some of you can relate, and for those of you who are too busy riding in warm weather to even read this post, God bless ya... I want to be where you are.

So that's what I am going to do. Taking my bike and heading towards the equator.

But how?

I don't have a lot of money to devote to this adventure, but I do have a lot of time. In Naples, Fl, I have an aunt/uncle and a few cousins. I grew up w/ them and they're all great. My cousins are all adults and have their own homes. So I'll be able to stay w/ my aunt/uncle free for as long as I want. Of course I won't be a freeloader; I'll buy food, etc...

So my monthly expenses won't really change. I'll still pay rent/utilities at home and just go to florida for ... a while.

Now How?

I've been thinking about how to do this on the relative "cheap". I can put a tow hitch on my car and tow the bike. I have everything I need to tow except for a hitch onmy Accord. I've towed many times w/ my old car, but never such a long distance. In fact, I've never taken a road trip of this length on my own before, but the adventure side of it appeals to me. Plus, once I get to Fl, I'll have both vehicles.

But it has its downside. It's expensive and risky. First off, I'd be traveling alone, and God for bid I get in an accident halfway there or halfway back... Or just have a major breakdown. I'll have roadside assistance and all, but still...

Plus it's expensive. I'll have to buy a tow hitch and have it installed ($400) plus traveling expenses.

So the other option I'm considering is to Ship the bike to Fl, fly down, ride around for weeks, ship the bike home and fly back home. This option has the downsides of expense, risk of damage to my bike while not in my posession and not having my car in Fl.

On the homefront, I am 31, single and bored, so leaving home for a while has no real drawbacks.

So, I'm sort of tossing these ideas around. Anyone have any stories or advice to share? What would you do?

Drive or Ship n Fly?

I'm leaning in the "Drive" direction, so roadtrip advice is greatly appreciated, especially from those who have taken a similar journey from the northeast to Fl.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:28 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Might be taking a long road trip-need advice!

Why not just fly or drive down there and rent a bike? Your Accord should eb fine as long as its been well maintained. The engines typically last 200k or more with the proper maintnence.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:33 PM

Having the bike down there to use as much as I want is the biggest reason I want to go (Oh, and I love my family too!). Renting a bike long term would be very expensive. I want to do a few motorcycle road trips around Fl. on my VFR; it's the reason I bought it.I've been ridingstreetbikes literally non stopsince I was fifteen, and I bought theVFR because it's a sport oriented sport-tourer. I still like to carve it up some, but I want to get into some lengthy road trips.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:52 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

What about renting a Budget truck or U-Haul? That would be cheaper than a hitch. I would say just to get the hitch and tow it, but if you have an auto, get a tranny cooler.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:33 PM

that is a good option.... rent a uhaul one way drop off... probably around $300.00 + fuel at about 15 MPG, so twice the cost of your accord in gas... How confident/comfortable are you riding? have you considered bundling up and strap on a pack with a tent? just take the bike only (cheapest route).... Uhaul (safest route)... Accord/tow (middle of the road)... fly/ship (most expensive and risk with the bike) so there's my take on it... or search around for "couch surfing" there is a band/group of people that will let you crash on their couch as you travel, it's the next/new big thing for travelers, it's cheap and it'd be a blast....

My personal opinion: get on e-bay and find a hitch for your car, then talk to a local welder and I bet it won't be much more than $60.00 to have it installed, tow the bike with the accord and couch surf your way down, perhaps you'll run into someone who likes to ride and will do a weekend trip with you, be sure you put a small tent in the car with extra blankets, tools, oil, coolant (pre-mixed) and that would be a real adventure!

Old 01-31-2007, 08:51 PM

You probably would need a friend with you(boy or girl it doesn't matter) because if I drove that far I would probably go crazy at about virginia or the carolinas without a friend with me. You could get some good memories with taking someone, so you could look back when your 80 and say "Remember that time...

Oh and don't forget make sure they arent a moocher, because that could make it more expensive.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:11 PM

If you decide to tow it donw there. My i recomand using the D1, D2, D3, D4 as gears. Like a manual. I think you will put les stress on the tranny that way. If your Worried about the engine. You really shouldnt. If you proply mantained it. You shouldnt have any problems at all. Plus since you have a coupe the wieght disturbution is better then the sedans. So turning and stuff should be better.

OH almost forgot, checkl tire pressure before you go. and change the oil and oil filter. Check air filter and check spark wires and spark plugs. Good luck have fun. Nice Biike by the way.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I live in miami, and the weather right now is nice and warm. It was cool last week, now its getting hot again. My brother in law drove up to New York on his bike, he drove it in one day