Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Anyone ever sold their car to buy an older car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator
Default Anyone ever sold their car to buy an older car?

Want to know if I'm alone here. I've been infatuated with older volvos lately and have really been considering selling my 2001 to buy a 95-97 850 t5r/r. Am I crazy or should I follow my dreams?

Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Follow your dreams, that is me.

Heck, you won't have to deal with so much bs on the older and there is tons of information for them.....I'm guessing. What did the TB cost on the newer one?

Heck, the wife came home today with an '01 Saab 9-3 today????? Jim gave me a few pointers of things to look at.....but I was no going to win.....to her, "It's small, cute, a convertable"....so I knew it was a matter of time.

Guess I have to find a good Saab forum and start reading.....I get to be a newbie

Old 12-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

That is the huge plus is there is way more you can do yourself on them. Even though I physically replaced the throttle body($300 used $800 new) I still had to bring it to the dealer and pay over $100 to have it programmed to have it work. Heck I even had to pay them to program the alarm siren when I replaced that.

Only downside is the t5r and r were only offered in automatic. Might have to do my first auto-manual swap.

Plus I should have some cash left over if all goes well.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Take those extra $'s and put them away for what "might" come up.

You have a new addition coming soon . Plus if you get deployed soon (?), she will have bit extra for, yes you could have done this but it has to be done now. Again, I'd be more than happy to help do this, that and the other if you are out but I am 1~1 1/2 away.

Yes, I "WANT" the TL (and I'm hung up on the '14 TL-SH-AWD with a manual). I haven't done it for just some of these reasons.....not sure of the future, what happens if "x" happens, how long before "y" happens. I don't want another car payment, so I'm talking about the total price of the car that I'm happy with just leaving in savings for now.

Now, when they "buy me out" next year.....well all bets are off.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

My son was born 2 months ago if that is what you were referring to.

And I leave for the stan in less than 2 weeks. So this will have to be after deployment. Not too excited about my s60 sitting here for 9 months as the wife and kid are going back to NH while I am gone. I have a friend that will come drive it from time to time but still not excited about it getting maybe 100 miles put on it in 9 months. Not sure what kind of problems I'll return to, but its too late to sell at this point.

And of course your help is always appreciated.

I agree with you it probably isn't a good idea to go buy a new car at this time when your company is up in the air as of next year.

mmmmmm

Last edited by live2rice; 12-02-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Yea, sorry....for some reason I was thinking he wasn't born yet. Dang sucks getting old and keep up with anything anymore.....Sorry about that.

Of course anything I can do, just let me know - either you or the wife.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Here is an example....Needed to get coffee, running low and that is a BAD thing. SO I call the wife and see if she needs/wants anything while I'm there.

She gives me a few (~five) things. I go to the store, buy stuff and come home. When I get home and start putting things away......guess what, I forgot to buy coffee??? Have just enough for the am but will be going back to the store tomorrow to buy coffee

Old 12-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Been there done that lol. With us it's usually walk into the store, get a basket cause we only need a few items, end up leaving with a cart full of stuff.

My dad has showed interest in buying my s60 to replace his s40 so well see where that goes.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I have a old Volvo (240) the only down side to them is the electrical systems suck and parts are hard to find. But they do run for ever. My 240 needed a engine rebuild for a year and still ran lol

Old 12-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Well, maybe "Dad" should test drive the s60 for a few months to seal the deal

I could take care of the RX for a few months.

Again, you/she have my phone numbers and e-mail - ANYTHING I can do, just ask and I will do everything I can to make it happen.....it would be my pleasure to help out.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever sold their car to buy an older car?