Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Avoiding Torque Lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 10:47 AM
Default Avoiding Torque Lock

I'm looking to ascertain the correct way to park on a hill. I thought it was covered in the owner's manual, but I can't find it.

1. Which comes first - shifting into Park, or applying the parking brake?
  2. Is the order the same, whether parking facing downhill or uphill?
  3. When you leave the parking space, which comes first? Shifting out of park or releasing the parking brake?
  4. Again, does the order matter based on facing downhill or uphill?
Thanks,

Robert

Old 03-04-2016, 05:57 PM

Robert, I love the question but I am wondering why you are asking this? Have you had a problem? I have always wondered why you feel so much "tension" in the shifter and engagement of the transmission when it is "under strain".

Old 03-04-2016, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Biffy44
Robert, I love the question but I am wondering why you are asking this? Have you had a problem? I have always wondered why you feel so much "tension" in the shifter and engagement of the transmission when it is "under strain".
Hi Bif:

I haven't had a problem, it's just something I'm curious about. I remember reading about front-wheel drive cars having an issue with torque lock, and seeing instructions about how to avoid it.

It happens that infrequently I'll need to park on a steep decline going into a garage under a building. Again, just something I'm interested in.

Robert

Old 03-05-2016, 04:00 AM

Let's hope someone weighs in!

Old 03-05-2016, 02:53 PM

Obviously, each driver must take responsibility for their own actions while operating a vehicle.. including proper parking.

Merely offered as a suggestion: While the engine is running...with a foot on the brakes, place the transmission in Park and then engage the emergency brake. Turn off the ignition.

When restarting and the vehicle is in Park, place a foot on brakes and hold, initiate ignition. Once the engine is running, still in Park and with a foot still applied to the brakes.. release the emergency brake. Make sure that there is no approaching traffic, pedestrians or any obstructions, use proper turn signal, double check surroundings.. place vehicle in Drive and/or Reverse... which ever is appropriate.. and use a proper balance of both foot brake and accelerator to engage motion