Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Isuzu plans full withdrawl from U.S. Market

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Isuzu plans full withdrawl from U.S. Market

i guess i am on the other side of the fence. the passport I have is 13 years old and quite a lot of fun to drive. it has been relatively reliable for my father (who owned it prior to me), and with a nice set of tires, is a good offroad vehicle.

how many people in here hating on isuzu have actually owned one?

Old 04-02-2008, 04:55 PM

A while back my bos was looking everywhere for one of the small Isuzu trucks with a diesel engine. that was before he got into planes. He said supposedly the small Isuzu diesels got better than 40mpg. Now that he buys small planes though, his interest in automobiles has dwindled. he used to buy former government owned vehicles. for example - a few years back he bought a mid to early 90's model 4 door chevy blazer. it was formerly used as an FBI surveillance vehicle. It had like 50k on it and he bought it for less than $1,000 because it wasn't running. All it needed was a new battery and a radiator. Now he has a perfect running lwo mileage blazer with leather interior and tinted windows.
His DD is an early 90's small Toyota pickup. It's a manual transmission and it has under 50k on it. he bought it from Mississippi State University. I think it used to be one of the trucks the grounds crew used. That thing will probably make it to 300k easily. he didn't pay crap for it either.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

A while back my bos was looking everywhere for one of the small Isuzu trucks with a diesel engine. that was before he got into planes. He said supposedly the small Isuzu diesels got better than 40mpg. Now that he buys small planes though, his interest in automobiles has dwindled. he used to buy former government owned vehicles. for example - a few years back he bought a mid to early 90's model 4 door chevy blazer. it was formerly used as an FBI surveillance vehicle. It had like 50k on it and he bought it for less than $1,000 because it wasn't running. All it needed was a new battery and a radiator. Now he has a perfect running lwo mileage blazer with leather interior and tinted windows.
His DD is an early 90's small Toyota pickup. It's a manual transmission and it has under 50k on it. he bought it from Mississippi State University. I think it used to be one of the trucks the grounds crew used. That thing will probably make it to 300k easily. he didn't pay crap for it either.
How does he go about finding these bargains?

Old 04-04-2008, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: smaglik

My grandpa owned an early 90s Isuzu pickup and the thing ran great and the A/C was ice cold in 115* Tucson weather. It was fugly as hell though.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: ckebottle

probably some sort of insurance scam...

Old 04-04-2008, 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13

My grandpa owned an early 90s Isuzu pickup and the thing ran great and the A/C was ice cold in 115* Tucson weather. It was fugly as hell though.
yeah....the passport I own has been through 13 wisconsin winters...here in flag, they use cinder, not many chemicals, unless you are on the freeway....wisconsin is like a salt flat in the winter. There is not one spec of rust on any painted surface, which honestly is better than any of the older Hondas I have owned. AC is still ice cold, and even the GM V6 is still kickin. Their trucks were pretty decent, I think.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 PM

wait, so doesnt this mean that one day they could be rare collector cars that are worth a lot of money?
like those auctions i always see on TV.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 PM

hmm....probably not...

Old 04-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Administrator

I didn't even know isuzu was still around.

"Let me make it crystal clear, Isuzu will discontinue the sales of vehicles only. Our parts and service operation will remain fully functional. We expect the vast majority of our dealers will continue to service our loyal Isuzu customers."

I hope they hold true to that!
Tell that to the Oldsmobile and Plymouth people about still getting all there parts that they need..Bye, Bye Isuzu..Have a Great Day WheelBrokerAng [sm=smiley32.gif]

Old 04-07-2008, 02:38 PM

probably some sort of insurance scam...
Haha! Actually they are auctioned to the public. There are no reserves on prices. Youhave to buy the vehicles "as is" and many are not running, so you are gambling as to whether or not they will be easily repaired.I guess the government just wants to get rid of them and they don't care how much they get for them since they were bought with our tax money anyway. He said most of the cars he has bought merely needed a radiator or a battery.
I'm not sure where you find out about the auctions. The internet would probably be a good place to start looking. Normally it ismostlyGM or Ford cars though. He once bought a Buick that was also an FBI car. he said when he drove it home he did between 80-100 mph on the highway and still got around 30mpg. The windows are also tinted so dark you can't see in. The CEO of the company calls it his "pimp" car.