Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Possibly Upgrading my ride.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Default Possibly Upgrading my ride.

Hello

I am thinking about upgrading my ride. I was looking at BMW Z3 and Z4. There is good and bad about both cars. Z4 is bigger, has larger trunk, Z3 drives a lot better. Both cars that I have checked out were 2.5L 5 speed.......what do you guys think bout them?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb

Either one of those will be great..that decision is gotta be tours only..whichever one makes your heart race is the one you should buy...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Default BMW decision making

My 2002 BMW 330i purchase price was $41,500 and was traded for a 2009 Honda Accord Coupe. I drove a BMW consistently for 7 years. When traded it was mint. SO why did I trade? Upkeep costs exceeded my expectations, which is my reason for no longer having a BMW. There are sub-frame issues with Z3 & Z4 cars, with sub-frame pulling away from welds. BMW currently has class action litigation settlement pending for those Owners who agree to having their cars inspected by BMW. Those that do not agree with settlement can contest settlement and begin their own litigation.

Here is my issue with sub-frame settlement; you cannot make a visual inspection of weld cracks to determine frame weld cracks either exist or do not exist. You either need a ‘dye-penitent’ or ‘x-ray’ to make this important determination. Putting your BMW in hands of dealer to make this determination is a grave mistake, because they are not a third party inspector. Purchasing a used BMW could be a fatal mistake, if sub-frame pulls out at high-speed.

Maintenance costs of BMW far exceed most owner’s ability to keep them in mint condition. I replaced Air Conditioning Evaporator (had to remove dash completely), front bushings, rear taillight connectors (corroded), Plugs at 44,000 miles, performed Inspections I & II, changed transmission fluid at 44,000 miles, and so on, with cost of maintenance over 7 years $7,500 plus set of new tires and battery.

I confess that I strayed from HONDA, but have come back. Regards

Richard