Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Problem with my computer

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Default Problem with my computer

Hey guys! This is Off topic post - at least for this forum!

I was thinking that may be theres a computer whiz or geek around you who can fix computers?

I have 3.0e GHz Pentium 4 computer with 512Mb memory Power supply for 430 Watt.

my problem is that the power supply keep frying.

I replaced it 3 times and 3 times it is the same problem. theres a burning smell from the supply and finally computer is not turning on. I opened the power supply and varister (those of you who familiar with electronics should know what it is) is all black on the board. And it is the same problem over again. The computer was plugged 1 time to a surge 2nd time to a wall outlet.

so do you know what might cause of that? Is it possible that the power supply of 430Watt (peak power) not good enough for the built? I have Graphic Adapter, CD , CD burner , HD and a couple USB ports are used for Scanner and Printer.

Old 05-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Default RE: Problem with my computer

ORIGINAL: Evlampius

Hey guys! This is Off topic post - at least for this forum!

I was thinking that may be theres a computer whiz or geek around you who can fix computers?

I have 3.0e GHz Pentium 4 computer with 512Mb memory Power supply for 430 Watt.

my problem is that the power supply keep frying.

I replaced it 3 times and 3 times it is the same problem. theres a burning smell from the supply and finally computer is not turning on. I opened the power supply and varister (those of you who familiar with electronics should know what it is) is all black on the board. And it is the same problem over again. The computer was plugged 1 time to a surge 2nd time to a wall outlet.

so do you know what might cause of that? Is it possible that the power supply of 430Watt (peak power) not good enough for the built? I have Graphic Adapter, CD , CD burner , HD and a couple USB ports are used for Scanner and Printer.
There's a general power supply formula to determine how much your power is needed. This calculator should, help. I don't have enough info on your system to tell you.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Old 05-27-2005, 01:10 AM

thanks bud! I'll check it out - right now I've talked to a technitian he said it is because of the cheap parts in the power supply! I bought them for $35 bucks.

So I went and spend 150$ for a best one on the market right now - with super pooper cooling fans , blue lights and extra power plugs. I see how it goes now.

the best part is - I can keep frying it and they'll replace it for free for a whole year.....tee he.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:48 AM

I'm a geek in so many ways...yet so cool in so many more [8D]

That was kind of conceited...

Old 05-31-2005, 12:56 PM

good move, buying quality power. i've seen many PC's fried by people who think any power supply is OK, only to find out otherwise. you get what you pay for.