Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

R.I.P. (for now) 2000 LX 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Default R.I.P. (for now) 2000 LX 5spd

It is with a heavy heart that I inform you all of the major breakdown of my little 2000 LX 5spd. It had just a little over 207k on it. The timing belt broke yesterday on my way to work. I suspected the timing belt had broken based on how it felt, but was wearing work clothes and didn't have the tools to know for sure on the side of the interstate. I had a friend from work tow me to a small Honda Specialty shop that had worked on it for me before to confirm the problem. They called a few hours later and confirmed the tbelt broke. They said it didn't look like it bent any valves, but they couldn't be certain. I asked if any of the techs there might be interested in purchasing it. They said they would ask. I then called pull-a-part to see if they would buy it in case none of the techs wanted it. They offered $270 and a free tow away. The only questions they asked were the year, make, and model; and the lady I spoke to was quite rude. I walked in to the Honda shop this morning with the title in my hand and sold it to one of the techs for $300. Then the shop even waived the $65 tear down fee I had agreed upon yesterday! I feel a lot better knowing that tech will take care of it and I may even see it driving down the road again one day. That was a great little car.
If anyone is ever in the Jackson, Mississippi area and needs a good Honda specialty shop, I would definitely recommend Carshop, Inc in Ridgeland. They are honest guys and should be commended.

Also, I still have a Helm Manual if anyone is interested

Old 08-01-2013, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Well that stinks. Seems like you could have got a little more for it but would have had to deal with paying the shop, getting it towed home etc. So at least it went to a good home and was a quick and easy sale.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Yes a sad day

What are you wanting for the book? I don't have a 6th gen - might one day?, maybe not - but I know it would come in handy for helping others.

PM me with the details.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:36 PM

Yeah I just wanted to be done with it and not have to hassle to be honest. I probably would have sold it to the guy for $200 to keep me from having to call and have it towed away. It needed tires badly as well. I think he got a good deal, but I feel like I did too.

Poorman: I'll PM you the details about the book when I get home. I can email you photos. I've only opened it like twice. There are two thick books. I believe it is for 2000-2002 models, but im not certain. PM or email me if I forget. My kids keep me pretty busy at night. My 2 year old son is like a Tasmanian devil.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

So what are you driving around in now?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Administrator
Talking Hello Johnathan

Originally Posted by 00AccordLX5spd
Yeah I just wanted to be done with it and not have to hassle to be honest. I probably would have sold it to the guy for $200 to keep me from having to call and have it towed away. It needed tires badly as well. I think he got a good deal, but I feel like I did too.

Poorman: I'll PM you the details about the book when I get home. I can email you photos. I've only opened it like twice. There are two thick books. I believe it is for 2000-2002 models, but im not certain. PM or email me if I forget. My kids keep me pretty busy at night. My 2 year old son is like a Tasmanian devil.
Happy to see you in here every so often..so your son is like a Taz Devil.lol
Wow 2 years old already..how time pass's by.

Later JD..WheelBrokerAng (Ang)

Attached Thumbnails R.I.P. (for now) 2000 LX 5spd-230px-taz-looney_tunes_svg.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 09:31 PM

@live2rice: I inherited a 1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5spd from my dad a few months back. I had one very similar to it when I was 16-17 years old (a woman ran a red light and hit me and it totaled). I'm planning on keeping it forever and modifying it a bit. It has a really strong motor. The mods I can tell are:
1) a short throw shifter (not sure exactly which one because i havent removed the boot to check, but I suspect it's a B&M pro ripper)
2) BBK h-pipe with no cats (it's pretty throaty)
3) air/smog pump removed
The odometer reads 42k and change, but it's probably rolled over once. I'd be shocked if those were original miles.
The interior is near perfect which is really rare. 5.0 emblems removed which I like. It's white and I will wind up painting it black at some point.
I love these mustangs. They are super easy to work on and can get a lot of power with basically bolt ons. I had to replace the alternator shorty after I got it and it took about 20 minutes with hand tools in the parking lot at work (I was wearing a tie when I did it haha).
They are also torque monsters. You can boil the tires off with little effort. This thing actually weighs a little less than my accord did.
I'll drive this daily until I get my wife's car paid off or I am certain I can afford another car note. Then I'll get a new F150 (my father in law works at a ford dealership). Planning on getting a black twin turbo 3.5 V6 crew cab 4wd.