Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

On the racing theme that has been going on here lately......

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
Default On the racing theme that has been going on here lately......

Anyone ever do any SCCA events? I have been watching a lot of videos and it looks like a lot of fun. I live like 2.5 hours from Virginia International Raceway and about 5 from Road Atlanta. Think the RX7 might have some road racing in the future. Maybe even Sebring once a year.

So anyone have any experience with it? Fun? Expensive? a lot of hassle with SCCA rules?

Old 01-13-2014, 04:18 PM

I race a 5th gen and instruct with SCCA's PDX program. Here is a video at one of last seasons race. Nasa Summer Breeze 2013 on Vimeo It's the entire race, but a fun one... Funny this post came up, I am trying to tempt the Admin into creating a motorsports forum...

As far as racing, are you talking actual wheel to wheel, or just doing track days? Racing is an expensive hobby. Carrol Shelby (of Shelby Cobra fame) once said "The best way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large one".

If you are looking to go wheel to wheel, SCCA/NASA style, it's far better to buy an already built, ready to race car. You will be able to buy a car for about 25% of what it will cost to build. In my case, I bought my car for 5K including $2500 in tires, new tires. To replicate that car, I would need 3K in suspension and 2K in cage work, plus the car. Add then the hours of work, engine mods, safety equipment (fire suppression, window nets, seat), and all the extras you don't count on. I would say 10K would be a good budget. Are you starting to see the reason to buy a built car?

If you are talking track days, then an oil change, some new brake pads, and fluid, a helmet, a safety check, and a desire is all you need.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't want to do wheel to wheel, just track day fun and time attack would be fine for me, think i'm going to start by going to an auto-x event or two when I get back from the STan.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:20 PM

I really want to take my car to the track. That is what I have slowly been getting it ready for....finished the suspension and front brakes, now its just the rears that need to be done. And a 5-speed swap. Then I would feel comfortable taking it.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by live2rice
I wouldn't want to do wheel to wheel, just track day fun and time attack would be fine for me, think i'm going to start by going to an auto-x event or two when I get back from the STan.
Is you Dad going to trade out the RX for the S60? If so, let me know of anything you need/want done to the RX to get it ready.

Then of course, let me know if/when you might be going to VIR. You'd have to almost drive right by my house and I would love to go and watch if you have room - not sure if the wife and kid would be going as well.....or heck, your wife, mine and the boy could pile into the Pilot and we could ride in the RX????

Old 01-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Nah the RX7 will stay at his house, he is planning on flying down and driving back.

By the time I get back the season will almost be over, and I will need some new tires on the RX7 before I do anything. So it will probably have to wait until next year. But that does sound like a fun day.

I will be going to cars&coffee in raleigh when I get back though.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 AM

Okay, gotcha...

Track days are a lot of fun. I am not an AutoX or drag race guy. I used to drag race a motorcycle and don't like the sit around and bake in the sun for hours for less than 2 minutes of actual racing. For me, AutoX is similar. Too high a sun>fun ratio. At track days, I get somewhere around 2 hours of actual track time. I frequently don't even go out the last session because I am actually tired of driving.

When you get back and are ready, check out NASA Mid-Atlantic » 2014 This is the group I race with and they do events at VIR. Their events are a combination of instructed track time, and racing. I love the track at VIR, but it's not been kind to me. Here is a video taken from a car following me during qualifying
Start watching at 1:40 as I climb the "S's" It was my first weekend at the track and I was really slow at the "south bend" turn. I decided on the second lap to give a go at pushing it just a little bit. Clearly, it was too much.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah the track racing definitely looks like the most fun, but also the most expensive/most skill required so figure i'll do an auto-x event or two before hand.

I'd like to say I'd go to the VIR date on oct 3-5, but I really don't see that happening.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

The one time I went to a track/fun day (Nelson Ledges) it was a lot LESS intimidating that you guys seem to think (hondafreak). Out on the track with a bunch of other cars, but the rules-of-the-day prevented the real scary stuff. Only 2 places on the track where you were allowed to pass someone, & then only when they signal it's OK. Kinda like doing parade laps?? But it WAS fun.

Only reason to mention that, is to say don't feel like you NEED big brakes or manual transmission. There were auto-trans on the track that day. There was even an old Saab 96 (about 1967-ish & slow). So don't feel so intimidated, it's for fun.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 AM

Yeah the track racing definitely looks like the most fun, but also the most expensive/most skill required so figure i'll do an auto-x event or two before hand.

I'd like to say I'd go to the VIR date on oct 3-5, but I really don't see that happening.
I am not so sure about that.

AutoX A few timed laps around a course you have never seen before. It's different every time. You may get 3-6 cracks at it the entire day. Let's say you spend $30 entry, get 6 runs that's $5 a run for about 6 minutes of driving. A track day is maybe $375, but at 2 hours of driving it's a little over $3 a minute. You also get 10-15 laps a session You also get the thrill of going really fast

YMMV

Quick Reply: On the racing theme that has been going on here lately......