Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

On the racing theme that has been going on here lately......

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah that is true.

Yeah I guess I am a little intimidated for the big boy track lol, but it would be a lot more fun than auto-x.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The one time I went to a track/fun day (Nelson Ledges) it was a lot LESS intimidating that you guys seem to think (hondafreak). Out on the track with a bunch of other cars, but the rules-of-the-day prevented the real scary stuff. Only 2 places on the track where you were allowed to pass someone, & then only when they signal it's OK. Kinda like doing parade laps?? But it WAS fun.

Only reason to mention that, is to say don't feel like you NEED big brakes or manual transmission. There were auto-trans on the track that day. There was even an old Saab 96 (about 1967-ish & slow). So don't feel so intimidated, it's for fun.
Agreed! I instruct, and can say 100% if you check your ego at the door (uh, you really DON'T know how to drive....yet), and listen to your instructor you will learn a lot, and do it safely. The goal is to burn off some brake pad, and some tire, and drive your car home.

I once instructed a fellow in a Toyota Corolla automatic grocery getter. He got about all he could out of that thing... it was impressive.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know how the "fun-day" rules differ from track to track, but it turned out to be a lot less intimidating than I expected.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

My 9.2x (rebadged WRX) shoulda been a fast car, but I couldn't match the instructor driving a bone-stock 98-ish Civic. His lap times were better (ride-alongs with only the instructors on the track).

Now when all of us got out there, I found myself wanting to go faster but following the other newbies around the track (not allowed to pass, etc). Don't mean to say it wasn't fun. But it was FUN fun - not intimidating fun.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Disclaimer/disclosure...
I had fun that morning, then not so much in the afternoon. So make sure you don't blow up an engine or something. Do all the real maintenance you can, but concentrate on keeping the car alive rather than making it faster.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...aturday-33805/

Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 AM

My 9.2x (rebadged WRX) shoulda been a fast car, but I couldn't match the instructor driving a bone-stock 98-ish Civic. His lap times were better (ride-alongs with only the instructors on the track).

Now when all of us got out there, I found myself wanting to go faster but following the other newbies around the track (not allowed to pass, etc). Don't mean to say it wasn't fun. But it was FUN fun - not intimidating fun.
That's part of the progression. That car has some decent power. You catch them on the straights, then the Miata's and Civic's leave you in the corners. After a few events and you get bumped up a group, you find you are the one with the Miata in your mirror.... I know a guy who tracks his Tercel, yes, a 98HP Tercel... He is crazy fast in it, and hounds the Vette's through the corners. Nothing like seeing him get the point by from a Viper...

Old 01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

well you guys sure are selling me on this.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:48 PM

Only reason to mention that, is to say don't feel like you NEED big brakes or manual transmission. There were auto-trans on the track that day. There was even an old Saab 96 (about 1967-ish & slow). So don't feel so intimidated, it's for fun.
I know. I actually just installed a BBK on my front, and should be doing the rear disc conversion in about a month. I'm more concerned about the auto trans.....just because the car is my DD, I don't want to blow it up on the track, and then be stuck without a car, and no money saved towards a 5-speed. Its just me wanting to be prepared.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by hondafreak91c
I know. I actually just installed a BBK on my front, and should be doing the rear disc conversion in about a month. I'm more concerned about the auto trans.....just because the car is my DD, I don't want to blow it up on the track, and then be stuck without a car, and no money saved towards a 5-speed. Its just me wanting to be prepared.
Are the rear discs for looks, or performance?

Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Find a manual parts accord, shouldn't be too hard. I'm tryin gto track down a manual volvo so I can swap mine. Even better find one with rear discs.

Last edited by live2rice; 01-14-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: On the racing theme that has been going on here lately......