Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

torque wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:20 PM
Default torque wrench?

Does anybody know where I can get a good "click-type" torque wrench that won't cost me an arm and a leg? I know I need to invest in one of these since I am planning to start doing a lot of work on my car myself.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Default RE: torque wrench?

Harbor Freight has some that are very reasonable. I don't know about the quality though.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Go to Sears ,, craftman

Old 04-27-2007, 04:05 PM

Thanks guys. Duuhh I totally forgot about Sears! You guys think this one would meet most of my needs servicing my Honda?
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
Dang I just read the reviews on the one I linked! Doesn't look good at all!! I am dumbfounded that a craftsman tool could have gotten such horrible reviews! The search continues!
If anybody would like to recommend a specific wrench from personal experience I am open to any suggestions!

Old 04-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I have the Craftsman Professional Edition Torque wrench and I havent had a prblem in over 2 1/2 years with it. I use it for everything around the car and my previous trucks and never had a problem with it. I think I paid around $250 for it. I think as with everything you get what you pay for, especially with these wrenches.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:57 PM

The biggest and baddest problem with aclicker-type wrench isitsnotorious inaccuracy.If it is used frequently, its accuracyshould be checked yearly and, if it is off, it should be calibrated - a service that usually costs more than the wrench is worth.

The most accurate wrenches are, believe it or not, the simple beam type - the ones with the pointer and deflecting beam. But unless you are at a good straight-onviewing angle to the needle and scale as you tighten, they are worthless. Many times it is impossible to see the scale as one uses the wrench, so this is a big problem indeed.

Fortunately, there is a uniquehybrid torque wrench made by an Australian company namedWarren & Brown. It combines the accuracy of the beam wrenchand the convenience of the click wrench.I'veowned one for2 years and I love it. Here are a couple of photos:

Name:  WBtorque.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  75.4 KB

There is a slidier that onesets for the specified torque. As you can see, the higher the torque setting, the more the beam must deflect to touch the pin/clicker-release. When the beam has bent eonough to touch the release-button, the spring-loaded pin is released and itmakes a veryaudible "click". So it is not necessary to see the scale at all to know that you've accuratelytightened the fastener to the specified torque. If there is any disadvantage to this precision tool, it is that you must treat it as a precision tool and not throw it around as youmight a simple breaker bar.

Here's a link to the company:
http://www.warrenandbrown.com.au/site2007/
(Select "products", then "torque equipment", then "torque wrenches", then "deflecting beam".)

Old 05-01-2007, 12:08 PM

Thank you Tony1M. Your wealth of knowlege is impressive and as always,appreciated. I have no doubt that this is one of the best torque wrenches on the market. But, before I get my hopes up. How much should I expect to spend on one of these bad boys? I couldn't find any prices on the website. I see I can order a catalog. I just didn't want to waste the company's time if I already know I can't afford the product.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the compliment.My knowledge of cars is limited to old american V8's and the specific work I've performed myselfon our 1992 Honda Accord. Other than that, I'm pretty useless.

I had to order our torque wrench directly from Warren & Brown. Being a manufacturer, they normally do not sell directly to the public, but, because they had no North American distributor/retailers, they were happy to sell one directly to me. I think I paid about $140, including shipping, for the wrench. That's far from cheap, I know.

Here'sone being sold on eBay. Make sure you get a shipping quote from the seller before you bid.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;rd=1&rd=1

Here's a new wrenchby a company called Sidchrome (I believe Warren & Brown manufactures the wrench for Sidchome):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;rd=1&rd=1

That's just two auctions. These wrenches appear very frequently on eBay (usually in Australia, though), so, if you keep you eye out, you'll no doubt be able to get a very reasonable deal on a used wrench.

Unless the usedwrench has been subjected to enough heat to change its temperament,even a usedwrench will bevery accurate for its entire life. Itmight only be necessary toadjust its zero point yourself every few years, and you're good to go. Without actually checking its calibration, that cannot be said about an even brand-new clicker type wrench, and relying on one for accurate tightening might be problematic.

Because the so-called "dial" typetorque wrenches are essentiallya deflecting beam with some added gear mechanism to drive thegauge's needle, they are at least abetter bet than the clicker style. So iffor some reason the W&B is impossible, get a dial typemade by a reputable manufacturer.However, their disadvantage is the same as the normal beam type- you must be able to see theindicator needlestraight on while you are using it. Most dial type wrenches have an additional needle that at leastwill tell you how much you have tightened the fastener.How useful a feature that is is debatable.

Good luck.

BTW, the exchange rate is very favorable between the US and AUD dollar. You can check it for yourselfhere:
http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Old 05-02-2007, 01:39 PM

Thanks Tony. I think that is actually pretty cheap for a good torque wrench. I was afraid you were going to say it costbetween $500& $1,000!
I started on good old American V8's myself! They seemed so much easier to work on to me! Of course, I guess that is just because I learned on that engine. But I still feel that some things are much more complex on these Honda's. I couldn't believe that to change one of the belts on my wife's '95 V6 you have to remove a motor mount! The 5.0 Mustang V8's Iwas used to only have one belt and all you have to do is pull back ona single tensioner to remove/install a new one!This is why I feel like I need a good Torque Wrench because I want everything to be torque'd to spec. I think I am going to contact Warren & Brown & see if they will sell one to me. Idon't mind as much forking over the dough if I know it is a quality product.
Thanks again Tony!

Old 05-03-2007, 01:31 PM

OK. I contacted Warren and Brown and they said to let them know which wrench I am hunting and they will give me a quote for supply directly from Australia (they still don't have any retailers in North America).
So now my question is: How big of a wrench do I need? 4-80 ft lb? 10-120 ft lb? or 20-200 ft lb? I figured the 20-200 would probablybe a bit too much. Tony, I see you have the 4-80 ft lb one. I haven't checked any of my manuals yet to see exact torque specs on my Honda's, so I guess I will check that before I buy. Which one would you recommend?

Quick Reply: torque wrench?