Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

torque wrench?

Old 05-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Default RE: torque wrench?

While you're cooling your heels for a reply, take a look at the following and you'll feel a lot better about the style of torque wrench you've chosen:
http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_torqu...ches_critical/

Old 05-04-2007, 05:17 PM

That link was very informative. I had no idea about the "range and span" factor. It is a little bit confusing though.Here is the part of the articlethat confuses me:
"You have to know about range and span. The range of the scale is the top of the scale and the bottom of the scale. For example, a 50-to-200 ft-lb wrench has a range of 50 to 200 ft-lbs. The span is the difference between the top of the range and the bottom of the range. In our example, this wrench has a span of 150 ft-lbs (200 ft-lbs minus 50 ft-lbs). Add 50% and 75% of 150 to the bottom of the range, and you are looking at 125 to 162.5 ft-lbs."
So are they saying a 50-200 ft-lb wrench is only accurate from 125 to 162.5 ft-lbs? That makes me feel like you would need a dozen torque wrenches of varying capacitieslying around if you wanted to be accurate. For example: If I applied their formula to a 4-80 ft-lb wrench, thatwould tell me I should only use it between 42 and 61 ft-lb?
Does the same principle apply to deflecting beam wrenches? I see the articlesays "These devices depend on a calibrated spring," so I assume they are referring to click-type wrenches.
Sorry if I am asking too many questions. I just like to learn all I can about things.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:55 PM

Yes, you are correct inyour conclusion about what that article states.

No,none of what they are saying applies to beam wrenches, and that is precisely why I said that you have chosen the best practicalstyle of wrench.

The fundamental underpinning of any beam-type wrench is the temperament ("springiness") of the beam.Unless it is heated pretty hot, or usedwildly outsideits intended range,its temperament, and thereforeits accuracy,willnever change.

Most folks buying torque wrenches think that they are all the same, andone is just as good as another, but that is far from true. There is potentiallya tremendous price in accuracy to be paid for the simple convenience of hearing a "click".

Manufacturers of high-quality clicker-style wrenches should provide a piece of paper with themthat states the specific model's accuracy across itsentire range. Here's a link to a Snap On wrench:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=65311& group_ID=958&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
Take a look at the accuracy specification and you'll see that Snap On's claim is much better thanwhat thatarticle claims is typical for clicker-styleaccuracy. Frankly, Ivery much doubt that the Snap On wrench will retain that claimedaccuracy for very long under use, buteven iftheir wrench is that accurate for only the first time it is used, and goes tos..t thereafter, Snap On's accuracy claim is technically valid because it makes no claim about how long, and under what conditions, it will retain that accuracy.

Although it is meant for bicylce applications, here's a link to another site that has a very good description of the typical plain needle deflecting beam wrench, and how to "calibrate" it. (You'll see why I put the wordcalibrate in quotes when you read it.)
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=88

In the specific case of torque wrenches, simplicity in design is definitely the way to go. Any wrench that contains springs, "breakers", or gear mechanisms is going to need lubrication, maintenance, frequent checks for accuracy, and, if necessary, calibration - not a cheap thing to get done, as you can probably imagine.

Therefore,if one could always correctly see the needle on the typical deflecting beam wrench, and line up that needle exactly with the right line on the scalewhile pulling the fastener evertighter, that would be the absolute best stylewrench to buy.But just imagine trying to do the simple job of tightening wheel lug nuts with a needle/beam wrench.The eyes' line of sight hasto be directly perpendicular to the needleabove thescale. If the nutsare at head height, things would go OK, but how many times arelug nuts at head height when you tighten them? How the hell are you going tomaintain that viewing anglewhile tightening lugs, as one typically does, from above- usea mirror? This is precisely why clicker-style wrenches were developed in the first place, and indeed thatwas a worthy goal.

The big question is - which designmaintains the simpliciy,accuracy and reliability of the beam wrench, but alsoproduces a click?

Whenone uses acommon clicker, like religion,the result isall a matter of faith. When you use your new wrench, you'll know that you've tightened that fastener very close to thespecified torque.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:03 AM

A beam wrenchthat'll put that extra umph onto any fastener (Isaac Newton would have been proud of this baby):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tohnichi-1-inch-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-23-2007, 12:00 PM

HOLY CRAP! What would anyone need with a torque wrench this size?
I still haven't heard back form the guy I emailed about a quote
I bought a cheap-o beam torque wrench ($10)from AutoZone so I could feel more comfortable about the torquewhen I changed my spark plugs. I know I probably can't really trust this thing too well (I kow you get what you pay for).
I haven't emailed the guy in Australia again because I just had my t-belt, water pump, & seals changed on the 95. Now I'm about to have it done on my 2000 LX so I'm a bit strapped for cash.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:29 PM

Most heavy equipmenthas fasteners that require torque in that range.The questionforthis day and age of digital everythingis:why would a company still bother to make a beamwrench of that size? The answer must be that, like the mercury barometer is for atmospheric pressure measurement, the beam wrench must stillbe the simplest,most accuratemeans ofapplying aspecified torque.

As long as you can see the scale properly while tightening,I'd be willing to bet that your inexpensive$10 beam wrench isevery bitas accurate as themost expensiveclicker.

Christmas is coming. You know what to ask for.

(This is yet another beam-style wrench - a so-called "flat beam":
http://www.srtorque.com/tabeam.html The information about the longevity and accuracy ofbeam wrenches is pretty interesting, too.)