Sights n Sounds Post your video clips here!

Alpine Vs. Infinity

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:11 PM
tthom34
Unregistered
Default Alpine Vs. Infinity

A couple months ago I put in new Infinity speakers and an alpine head unit in my 99' 2 door coupe. I love what I'm getting from both of them. Unfortunately I work at Circuit City and we are going out of business and we had a great sale on all our car audio stuff like 40% off. I figured it'd be a good time to get an amp for my car also. I ended up buying this Kicker amp that was originally like $200 and got it for like $120. Later in the week we ended up selling out of subs. So then I started doing some research and came across two subs that caught my eye. My goal was to have crisp sound yet also have the capability of getting loud. I'm driving a coupe so I really only need one sub, or so I'm told. The first sub was a Alpine 10' Type R, and the other sub was Infinity 12' Dual-Voice-Coil with 8-ohm. The Alpine recommends 500W RMS with a peak power of 1500W, The infinity recommends only 300W with a peak power of 1000W. The only issue with my decision is that my amp gives only 300RMS. So not really a question of which is a better sub, but which would work better for my car and what I'm trying to gain?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by tthom34
A couple months ago I put in new Infinity speakers and an alpine head unit in my 99' 2 door coupe. I love what I'm getting from both of them. Unfortunately I work at Circuit City and we are going out of business and we had a great sale on all our car audio stuff like 40% off. I figured it'd be a good time to get an amp for my car also. I ended up buying this Kicker amp that was originally like $200 and got it for like $120. Later in the week we ended up selling out of subs. So then I started doing some research and came across two subs that caught my eye. My goal was to have crisp sound yet also have the capability of getting loud. I'm driving a coupe so I really only need one sub, or so I'm told. The first sub was a Alpine 10' Type R, and the other sub was Infinity 12' Dual-Voice-Coil with 8-ohm. The Alpine recommends 500W RMS with a peak power of 1500W, The infinity recommends only 300W with a peak power of 1000W. The only issue with my decision is that my amp gives only 300RMS. So not really a question of which is a better sub, but which would work better for my car and what I'm trying to gain?
If you listen to rock go w/ the 10 but if you listen to beat down music like rap go w/ the 12. The 10 is going to just be some fill in bass. As the 12 fill hit lower bass notes. BTW peak power dont mean jack. your more interested in the RMS power. I love DVC cus I like LOTS of beat down and DVC can be run @ 1ohm. But thats me.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:51 PM

Get the Alpine. Pretty much everything they make is top notch. Ive never been a fan of much of anything from Infinity.

The Alpine will be great for any kind of music and if you ever upgrade your amp to a bigger one itll be ready for it.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Alpine makes great speakers, head units, amps... pretty much the whole shibang. You can find the Alpine stuff really cheap on Amazon

-$tanley

Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Lol why do people think this is the A/V section? I personally hate infinities, they are WAY to harsh and not really pleasing mid either. Some people do like the way the sound, but I think they are just seeing the harshness as loudness so they like them. I can't say I've heard any real alpine speakers, but latley I've become a huge fan of their new amps.