Sights n Sounds Post your video clips here!

Cheap way to improve audio system

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:37 AM
Default Cheap way to improve audio system

So I just got a new 5-speed 09 accord coupe lx-s 2 weeks ago. it's my first manual car and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! the only downside about it is that the audio system kinda sucks. 160 watt with 6 speakers or something.

i don't need anything that's going to rattle my car, but a stronger bass sound and just straight up being louder would cut it for me.

anyone know a quick, easy, and CHEAP way to improve my audio sound quality?

thanks.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Default RE: Cheap way to improve audio system

Bazooka!!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: nponer

Bazooka!!!!
What is that?

Last edited by falkore24; 02-13-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Pottymouth!!!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The Bazooka is all-in-one 6" or 8" subwoofer in a tube (aka bazooka lol). RTexasF has one, but he got fed up with this forum and left...

Probably exactly what youre looking for clutch.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:15 PM

or upgrade the speakers. or just a sub set up for a 300w sub and 500w amp its like 300 bucks at one of the local stereo stores

Old 01-19-2009, 02:54 PM

The Bazooka I chose is the 10" 200 watt self amplified version. It does take some time to break in, about 6-8 weeks for me. Then it sounded great. Upgrading the remaining speakers with better more efficient ones will help a great deal. The "Zooka" looks like this:

Name:  NEW014.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  76.0 KB

The amp pictured is for the other speakers.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:54 AM

Aiight, so I've asked around and looked into some subs and amps and I've heard Alpine, Infinity, and JL Audio are good brands. One of my friends recommended a JL Audio 250-1 amp and 10" or 12" W2V2 subs.

I've read reviews on JL products and they seem pretty good, the price seems ok for me too. Now...is the extra $50 (per sub) worth a 12" sub over 10" sub? I was planning on getting 2 subs, just haven't decided which size. Any pros and cons to these subs?

I'm looking for a good, strong bass sound but nuthin that'll rattle my car and have people hear me coming from 2 blocks away! lol

Any suggestions/opinions about the JL amp and subs?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 AM

Forget two w2s, and get one w6. A single w6 is not a whole lot of bass, but has much better clarity and SQ than a w2. Match that sub with a JL amp and you will have a very nice sub setup. I would then upgrade the speakers in the car, and maybe amp them.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 AM

Save your money for the good stuff because in the long run you will appreciate it. Cheap isn't always the road to go. In my car, the previous owner left the factory stereo, but he put in aftermarket speakers, three 10" Treo subs professionally installed, and two JBL amps, one at 75 watts x 4 channels and the other one a 1200 watt amp (I'm guessing) for the bass. The amps are mounted to the back of the sub box, and it can't be accessed unless you unlock and pull down the back seats. Then, to top it all off, below the stereo is a Kenwood equalizer. It gets loud enough to make you wanna plug your ears. I hope this gives you some ideas anyway. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:13 AM

JL doesn't really fall into the category of "cheap". So if you aren't trying to rattle the neighbor's fine china, then going with 2 of anything is going to be a lot...especially with JL's. I've heard good things from the bazooka. My personal setup is a single 10" kicker with a 200 watt amp going to it and it sounded perfect for being matched to a factory headunit and speakers...not overly powering, but could be turned up if you wanted to.

And the idea that you have to "break in" a speaker is ridiculous, these are the people who spend $100 for 3 feet of speaker cable...it's snake oil.

Quick Reply: Cheap way to improve audio system