Sights n Sounds Post your video clips here!

Living in Buffalo is an Adventure

Old 11-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Nice view.

Do you have a generator? I only ask because I've been thinking about getting one installed.

Glad everyone is doing well.

"Mystic" - did all or most of that stuff melt?

Old 11-29-2014, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
Nice view.

Do you have a generator? I only ask because I've been thinking about getting one installed.

Glad everyone is doing well.

A generator? Kinda-sorta.

Last year before my wife and I downsized by selling our huge house and moving into a "caretaker apartment" on a horse farm I had a generator setup which back-fed the 240V dryer circuit (which by definition feeds both 120V sides of the breaker panel). I would click off the 200 Amp service from the street, fire up the generator, and then click on the breaker for the dryer. The generator allowed us to run the entire house except the A/C and the stove/oven. That said, my well was something like 1,000' deep, and while the generator had enough push to operate the well pump while the rest of the house was running, I usually opted to shut the well down (we had a 400 gallon reserve cistern in the basement with a jet pump for pressure) and only click it on during the middle of the night to refill the cistern.

Here on the horse farm they have a generator, however, they've opted to only include a few circuits in both the main house and in our apartment. In our case, the *only* circuit which is live while running on generator is the bathroom; I need to run an extension cord to keep the refrigerator running. Yesterday we unplugged the refrigerator for a short while and plugged in a waffle iron; damn those waffles tasted good.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
Nice view.
All back to normal for us since Sunday last week. No power outage thank God. A lot melted and damage to yard and vehicles is minimal. Needed to pay the roof guy to shovel the roof, small scratch in the side of the Dodge from the snow blower.
Also 55 degrees today, I washed the car outside.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Glad it all worked out for you. Watched the news and knew it could have gone a far different direction, so again glad you/family came out ok.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

New Hampshire now that's a good place to live

Old 11-30-2014, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by live2rice
New Hampshire now that's a good place to live
You bet'cha.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:09 PM

Funny, I'm in Syracuse and we were expecting to get a bit of that snow... nothing at all. It's nice when big storms hit and everything shuts down. Even now, theres almost no snow. It all melted.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:14 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Robinson,
Most folks around the country don't understand "Lake Effect Snow". When the conditions are right, a 4 mile x 15 mile swatch might get 4-5 feet, where north and south might get zero. Kind of a nasty joke by Mother Nature.
More years than not lately, Lake Erie is not freezing, so the chances of bad storms are increasing.
From what I understand Lake Ontario doesn't freeze, ever. Right?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:02 PM

Nope. It's too deep though. That why Oswego gets hit a lot worse. Of course buffalo is in between the two lakes, we're just below lake ontario. So it only gets bad if we get Canada 'pushing' storms down south.

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 12-27-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like time to get the snow blower out again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Living in Buffalo is an Adventure