Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Bump Stops

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:11 PM
Supper Moderator
Default Bump Stops

Ok Iv got some questions about STOCK bump stops. Yes Iv done my searching but haven’t came up w/ the answers I needs. Hints the new thread. Well anyways I put new set up on the CB7 not too long ago and I never installed the bump stops I just tossed them w/ the stock set up. Well I have some factory bump stops from my 94 accord and I put them on the front. Well it doesn’t matter how low I drop my coilovers it still sit w/ 3fingers between the tire and fender well. So Im guessing that the bump stop is too big. So my next step is to cut. But this is where is gets tricky...I want my cb7 to sit just a little bit lower then what it is but Im using KYB GR2 struts all around (yes I know they aren’t the best but got them @ a steal of a price) But I dont want to cut them too much and chance my struts blowing out. So dose anyone have a recommendation on how much I should cus the factory bump stops? Also does anyone run bump stops on there rear struts? B/c they tent to bottom out allot compared to the front (bump stops installed)
Thanx guys for any input!

-Ryan

Old 03-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

should have bump stops on all 4 corners. I had to cut my bump stops on my stocks shocks on my 95 when I installed Eibach Pro-Kit springs. But, I lowered my 99 even more on H&R Race/Konis and reused the original bumps stops without cutting them.

I had to cut 10mm for the Pro-Kits.

Bump stops are important, they stop the shock from compressing too far and causing damage.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by finch13
should have bump stops on all 4 corners. I had to cut my bump stops on my stocks shocks on my 95 when I installed Eibach Pro-Kit springs. But, I lowered my 99 even more on H&R Race/Konis and reused the original bumps stops without cutting them.

I had to cut 10mm for the Pro-Kits.

Bump stops are important, they stop the shock from compressing too far and causing damage.
I dont recall having rear bump stops on my factory rear shocks when I took them off the cb7. I still havent taken the rear set up off my 94. As of now my shocks are almost if not sitting on the bump stops. But Im not sitting all that low IMO but I guess I could be (3 fingers between fender and tire on front and 2 fingers on back)

Old 03-13-2009, 02:43 PM

Maybe there aren't any on the rears...

I wouldn't cut more than 10mm from the skinny end, I don't think the stock shocks can handle much more than that. 3 finger gap and you're on the bump stops? That's odd.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by finch13
Maybe there aren't any on the rears...

I wouldn't cut more than 10mm from the skinny end, I don't think the stock shocks can handle much more than that. 3 finger gap and you're on the bump stops? That's odd.
Im also sitting on 14' factory steel rims

Old 03-13-2009, 02:59 PM

That doesn't matter. Rims or steelies, you'll have the same gap, as long as the steelies and rims have the same (stock) rolling diameter.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html to compare.

I have 15" steelies 195/65/R15 and 18" wheels with 225/40/R18 and they are exactly the same size, just different rim diameters and widths.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Supper Moderator

ohh ok I didnt know if there was a diff. or not. But I thought it was kinda weird that it was sitting on the bump stop with only being dropped so little

Old 03-13-2009, 04:25 PM

How do you know it's on the bump stops? I think it's more an issue that the stock shocks are reaching the end of the tube vs. an aftermarket performance shock that has more damping and can there fore always ride near bottoming out.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Supper Moderator

When I put the shock back in place. You know how you have to compress the shock some to make it fit up in the strut tower and the fork thingy (dont know the real name, but its the fork that you place the bottom of the shock in) well after I put it all 2geather you can see the bump stop being compressed just by looking @ it. Nothing was installed wrong or anything, I personally installed it and then took it @ my dads Toyota dealership and had a tech. look it over and make sure everything was done right. The kyb gr'2 are just a stock replacement they arnt any performance shocks that I know of until you move up to the agx's then they are adjustable.