Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Clunking sound on rough roads

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Almost A Senior Member

The insulators came in the mail (sample pic, but mine look exactly like these except mine are 3/4 circle instead of full):

and clipped onto the springs pretty easily. I was given three for each spring, and I placed them on the 2nd, 4th and 6th coil from the top. My rear springs have a lot of coils in them -- here is a pick from when I swapped shocks a couple of weeks ago (... keep in mind the 1st coil is under the cap):

Well, good news -- the insulators completely stopped the noise. So it was the closely spaced coils that were vibrating and banging against each other and making an awful racket.

The car is now much more enjoyable to drive. The spring noise really accentuated the feel of the bumps in the road ... now that the noise is gone the bump seem much smaller or I don't notice them at all. And this is still with the trunk stripped of its liner and the rear seat folded down so trunk metal, spare tire and gas tank are completely exposed to the passenger compartment. Surprisingly quiet even in this state ... so I am expecting even more sound isolation once I put the interior back together.

Still up is rear trailing arm big bushings -- they are original and I've seen cracks in the rubber ... and the tire moves fore/aft about 1/4" when I hit it with a rubber mallet Since Honda doesn't sell the bushings separately from the control arm, and since the control arms are $120+ each, I may first try out some Febest HAB-028 at $15/ea and see how those hold up.

-- John

Attached Thumbnails Clunking sound on rough roads-dsc05517.jpg   Clunking sound on rough roads-img_1388.jpg  

Last edited by jkowtko; 03-16-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:34 PM

I replaced my sway bar ends and rear struts. No more noise Yay!

Old 05-29-2022, 02:08 AM
Default Bro you just saved me with this, I’ve been fighting a losing battle

Originally Posted by jkowtko
The insulators came in the mail (sample pic, but mine look exactly like these except mine are 3/4 circle instead of full):

and clipped onto the springs pretty easily. I was given three for each spring, and I placed them on the 2nd, 4th and 6th coil from the top. My rear springs have a lot of coils in them -- here is a pick from when I swapped shocks a couple of weeks ago (... keep in mind the 1st coil is under the cap):

Well, good news -- the insulators completely stopped the noise. So it was the closely spaced coils that were vibrating and banging against each other and making an awful racket.

The car is now much more enjoyable to drive. The spring noise really accentuated the feel of the bumps in the road ... now that the noise is gone the bump seem much smaller or I don't notice them at all. And this is still with the trunk stripped of its liner and the rear seat folded down so trunk metal, spare tire and gas tank are completely exposed to the passenger compartment. Surprisingly quiet even in this state ... so I am expecting even more sound isolation once I put the interior back together.

Still up is rear trailing arm big bushings -- they are original and I've seen cracks in the rubber ... and the tire moves fore/aft about 1/4" when I hit it with a rubber mallet Since Honda doesn't sell the bushings separately from the control arm, and since the control arms are $120+ each, I may first try out some Febest HAB-028 at $15/ea and see how those hold up.

-- John
Thank youuu