Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Front Strut Bar and Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Front Strut Bar and Rear Sway Bar

Indeed....but front sways, imo, are not worth the hassle. you're trying to eliminate/counteract a FWD's tendency to understeer by installing the rear sway. also, ive read that some aftermarket front sways are only a couple mms bigger than their OEM counterparts.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Front Strut Bar and Rear Sway Bar

actually, you are countering understeer by strengthening the rear more than the front swaybar, but that is not all a swaybar does. It's main function is to keep the car level when pulling a hard turn. That is why you do both ..... better handling. Understeer is only 1 component. Another component is the strength and modulous of elasticity of the metal. Two bars can be the same size and work totally differently. Lastly, the amount of torsion of the bar can be tweeked with the placement of the end-link holes. I have adjustable stiffness bars ..... they could easilly have been sepapate bars, made with the same size tubing and the same material, but different hole locations and that will make the bar harder or softer as well. You need to look beyond the simple bigger is stronger mentality and also realize that on an accord, the understeer isn't as bad as the sway (weight tilting the car on hard cornering). On the tC, there is much more understeer, so my rear bar is over 350% stronger than OEM while the front is about 45% stronger .... not exact, I'd have to look them up.