Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Ok guys need some input

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 04:18 AM
Default Ok guys need some input

When it comes to my 92 accord lx I'm pretty savi about her needs but when it comes to suspension parts I suck. I just recently ordered and received koni yellows and some eibach sportlines. Now, my question is, in order to do a complete and adequate installation, what will I need to transfer over from the OEM parts of my car. Keep in mind I have done some research and I have read the instructions (which are only pictures by the way) that were supplied by koni. Heres a website i found for an nsx installation with koni's and comptech springs (http://www.comptechusa.com/store/media/instructions/ins046.pdf#search='koni%20instructions'). I noticed they dont reuse the shock bellows(dust sleeves) or the bump stops. Should I do the same? I would appreciate some good advice and if possible a diagram or pic of what I would need to do to swap parts. I plan on getting some energy suspension bushings. Which ones would I need if I were to abandon reusing the OEM parts? Keep in mind this is only for the strut assembly. Im not talkin about control arms or anything else.
Suspension is a huge aspect of keeping the beast under control and I want to get it right. Thanks again

Old 03-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Default RE: Ok guys need some input

when I changed out my shocks, I kept the bump stops, but made them smaller (cut them in half). Haven't had problems with them yet. I reused the dust caps just to protect the strut. You could probably get by without the cover, but I don't know if that would shorten the strut's life or not.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:44 AM

Thanks for your response mbo1985. I think I'm gonna keep the dust sleeves after all. Any more suggestions out there?

Old 03-13-2006, 05:41 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea when you get the struts....its just a strut, and a castle nut for the top. you will want to use everything else from your old setup..

either your stock spring or a new one, all the washers, bump stops, that metal dust cover, the top part that holds the spring in....everything. cutting the bump stops down a little is a good idea, because it will allow for a little more spring travel before your car will hit the bump stop.. if you dont put that thing on.....when you come the end of the travel.....youll get a nasty jar that will make your *** pucker

Old 03-13-2006, 10:05 AM

Just remember what order all the washers and bushing go on. And don't lose any washers! I knew someone who redid their suspension and forgot a washer on one side, and his shock would pop out of place on big bumps. Turns out his strut was supporting the weight of the car on the rubber bushing and when he hit that big bump, the rubber would just give out and let the shock slide past it. In other words, take your time to do it right.

A pair of spring compressors ($15 bucks maybe at Discount Auto or similar) will probably be required to fit the springs on, at least to the front ones.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:32 PM

Sounds good. This will definately be a weekend job when I have time and daylight to work with. Got the springs and shocks but still need to order some bushings and camber kit soon. Ill let you guys know how it feels once I get everything up and running. Appreciate the help.