Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Default Steering issues

Hi I am having an issue with my 2007 Honda Accord and was wondering if anyone can help.

What I am noticing is that when I accelerate from a stopped position the car pulls to the right. If I lift off the gas pedal it pulls to the left. This also happens when it shifts gears.

The steering seems a bit sloppy and not stable. The brakes are also sensitive.

I had my tires rotate and the front passenger tire became loose and one of the lug nuts came off. I took the car in to my mechanic and they think it is the ball joint and axle that seems loose. We did tighten the wheel and play around with the axle and everything seemed to fix itself.

The steering was stable and the brakes worked normal. After a little while it started again. This time a myself lifted each wheel and made sure they were tight. I rotated the axle/wheels back and forth and everything ran good again for a little while.

There are no noises coming from anywhere during turns. SO I am confused and want to make sure that the axle and joint are actually the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Binici

Old 12-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hummm.....hard to call.

IMHO, more testing checking needed.

First thought was a sticking caliper, still kind of there. Can you pull the calipers and check/lube the slide pins....while there, do the pads show signs of uneven wear?

Old 12-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

I'm thinking a ball joint (or 2) getting loose. Check that out carefully.

If you lift the car in the air (as opposed to ramps) the joints are loaded differently, and then they may SEEM like they are tight.

The little ball joint on the steering tie rod can allow the toe angle to change back & forth depending on whether you're on the power or not. You really don't want that thing to completely come apart while you're driving along.

If it's the ball joints on the control arms, you may need some leverage (like a crowbar) to actually see them move. In that case, be very careful how the car is supported so it doesn't come down on you while you're underneath.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:28 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks guys. I will definitely look into your suggestion as soon as we shovel ourselves out of all this snow.