Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Strut help.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:01 AM
Default Strut help.

I am going to install megan racing coilover sleeves on my 96 honda accord. But the way the rear suspension is, the strut has a cup. The sleeves sink down in it, and im afraid its going to bottom out. Anybody has sleeves on their accord?

Old 03-27-2014, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Romainh95
I am going to install megan racing coilover sleeves on my 96 honda accord. But the way the rear suspension is, the strut has a cup. The sleeves sink down in it, and im afraid its going to bottom out. Anybody has sleeves on their accord?
Unfortunately, that's the way it will sit. When you go cheap with suspension, nothing will fit that well. And I will tell you now, if you are putting them on stock shocks, they will blow within a month. Have a fun time bouncing down the road. You very well may bottom out, because the shocks are old, and not designed for being lowered. Plus, you really don't know the spring rate of the Megan's I'm guessing.

If you want to lower the car, research needs to be done, in order to do it right. I have coilover sleeves made by Ground Control (the only sleeves I would ever run). But they are designed specifically to work with my Koni Yellow shocks. The sleeve slides snugly over the shock body, and sits on the perch ring of the Koni's (Koni's have removable "cups" so you can use springs or coilover sleeves). It won't rattle around like the Megan sleeves will, since they make them bigger to fit on any type of shock. It looks like this:

Name:  KONIGC.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  112.5 KB

Now, a good setup like this comes at a price....around $850. But you get 2 name brand products with a lifetime warranty. Worth it in my opinion. If you don't want to spend that much, then go for a cheaper full coilover (meaning it includes shocks, springs, etc) setup such as Function&Form Type 1s for around $550. For coilovers, anything less than that won't be good quality.