Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

suspension help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Default suspension help

So I think i'm done with trying to make my accord fast (will cost more than i'm willing to spend) and am looking to make the suspension a little better. I was reading through previous posts and people seem to have had good luck with the ebay strut bars. Would this one suffice?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STRUT...QQcmdZViewItem

or too cheapy? If too cheapy can someone point me in the direction of a better one? Is the install on this really as easy as it seems or has anyone run into any problems?

I don't know if I want to do coil overs just yet. My struts are stiff enough right now and I don't want to go and replace something that's not broken. What should come next then? Any suggestions?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:41 PM
Default RE: suspension help

any strut bar works, you're just basically paying for the name and how it looks.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:58 AM

Went with NRG on cardomain for 45 bucks.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:11 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I've seen some cheepies that are made from thin walled tubes of metal. Stay away from them. A kit that a friend had me look at comes to mind ..... Megan Racing 3 pack for a civic. You can find cheap solid aluminum bars with steel ends that work fine (like the one that you posted the link for). For a greater effect on handling and given that you like your shocks & springs, I'd look at upgrading the anti-sway bars. They will keep the car level around corners. I have Comptech which are kinda pricey, but I've seen a lot of poeple very satisfied with the 17 and 20 mm rear anti-sway bars from a TL. You might want to look into that as there are many write-ups on the topic on HAF.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:21 PM

I saw the write up for the 20mm from an 04-07 tl, how about a 19mm? Anybody know what tl that would come from? Is it a direct bolt on or is there any fabrication needed? From what I read from other posts I need the sway bar and also the bushings is there anything else that I missed? I will defintely look into this. Probably wait till Dec. until fall quarter is over before I would do an install. Thanks for the help gentleman.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:27 PM

it's 20 or 17 from the TL, not 19 unless you mean aftermarket. Unfortunately they don't make the bushing kits for the 6th gens. I've seen DIY's where people fill in the OEM bushings with roofing poly-sealant and get nice improvements ..... I'm thinking about doing that.

Maybe an aftermarket front sway bar? Lower tie-bar? I got mine on ebay for $25 shipped. Same style as the strut bar that you posted. Pretty soon I'm going to have to set up a photo gallery.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:45 PM

Maybe i'll do something like this:

http://www.filtsai.com/accord/sway_bar/index.php

And it's an 19mm...anybody know what year tl type s had the 19mm? If i'm understanding that diy correctly, i'll just need new brackets from the tl type s?

Old 09-25-2007, 03:47 PM

What's lower tie bar? All these bars are confusing me lol

Old 09-25-2007, 04:31 PM

sway bars are actually a torsion spring. They move when you hit a bump. Moving parts have a bigger effect on the suspension. The Strut tower bar and lower tie bar are fixed and simply support the car from flexing under hard cornering. Your car can have the sway bars (actually anti-sway) as well as the strut tower bar and tie-bar upgraded. They don't make a rear upper or front lower bar for 6th gen accords. No X brace or W brace either.

Anti-sway bars + springs + shocks/struts make up the moving support parts for the suspension

Strut tower bar + tie bar make up the additional chasis support available for your car

Old 09-25-2007, 04:33 PM

Lower Tie Bar on a Civic

...... and there's the anti-sway bar above it.

Quick Reply: suspension help