Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

2004 EX- L V6 Coupe, WHEEL CLEARANCE HELP???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:56 AM
Question 2004 EX- L V6 Coupe, WHEEL CLEARANCE HELP???

TIPS ON SUSPENSION NEEDED.

I have a 2004 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe. My car is stock but I put 18x8.5 wheels and 45 series tires and because of how wide the wheels are they rub the fenders lip/rim when I have people in the car and hit bumps or when alone and I hit a big bump. I am exchanging the tires for 40 series but the rubbing may still occur sometimes. I can get the fender lips rolled at an auto-body shop but that will not help much if any. The tires width is 235 and they fit the wheels perfect. I could have gone to a 225/40r18 and that would have dropped it some more and made it a tad less wide but it would not fit perfect and not look as nice. I do not like to stretch tires on on wheels wider than they are designed for. I know it can be done but I think it is ghetto and not safe (so did the tire manager at Discount Tire when exchanging tires and brain storming solutions.) I wanted the 45 series tires for added cushion because it is my daily driver but to keep them I would need really stiff suspension and that defeats the purpose of the extra cushion the 45 series provides, also wanted 45 series do to the fact that my city Tacoma, Washington is full of pot holes (and pot heads lol) and a larger series tire adds wheel protection and is less likely to blow out. In order to use 45 series it would need stiff suspension or some type of fender work done besides just rolling the lips back because I do not believe that would be enough. The wheels are sold for this vehicle on numerous online sites as well as brick and mortar tire stores and all say they fit. Same thing goes for the 235/45r18 tires. Sold all over the place and all say they fit. Well they do fit until you hit big bumps or put people in the car. So please know I did not put some whack job wheels on that just so happened to fit my lug pattern. The wheels are made by Dub the model is Dirty Dog and size is 18x8.5 which when measured on the outside edges of the wheel is really 19x9.5 but they sell wheels measured by the inside where the tire mounts for some reason. The manager at Discount Tire also said they really should not be selling this wheel for my car because of this problem, I was like well duh. But the shops systems said they fit and I had already bought them, they look really kick *** and there is no returns so that is that. So now... I am switching my tires from 235/45r18 to 235/40r18 which is going from 235x669mm to 235x645mm that is .94 of an inch shorter which I hope will be enough, the tire manager seems to think it will be and perform better too but maybe a little stiffer ride. The vehicles maximum diameter tire is 677mm and the minimum is 637mm. But the problem is not necessarily the diameter, it is the width. But that can't change unless I switch wheels so I am hoping the almost 1 inch lower tire will do the trick. After I get the shorter tires I would like to then get suspension that is some what more stiff but not really stiff and not lowered. Basically just looking for upgraded suspension that does not lower my car much if at all and is not a bouncy stiff ride. I am 31 and this is my first car. Been driving Chevy pick-ups since I was 15 and decided to finally buy a car. I love Chevy trucks but had to have a Japanese car not American, sorry GM. I knew Honda was a solid safe car and over all a great product. I have a lot of Honda stuff like my dirt bike a CR500-R and a ATC 110 3-wheeler lol and a 5hp generator and even a bad *** lawn mower that never clogs! Honda is awesome! So far I'm very happy with the car too besides my wheels rubbing but that's not Honda's fault. That's mine for having to look cool and put over sized wheels on it. May I please have some help from my fellow Honda enthusiasts. Thanks for reading all this. ANY TIPS ARE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thank you,
AdamT253

ps my deepest sympathy, thoughts and prayers are with all of Japan and will be until their country is safe once again. Let us help our friends and show the world what Americans really are! God bless Japan.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

This might be better off in the "Suspension" or "Tires & Wheels" section of the forum?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

I'll move it to wheels/tires because it sounds like the problems come from the tires being too wide. Or maybe the offset is too low. Or both. Do you know what the offset is on your wheels?

Old 03-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

235/45-R18 tires should(?) fit rim widths 7.5-9.0 or 6.5-8.5 (depending on what brand of tire). Pretty much the same for 225/40-R18. So "stretching" them to fit doesn't seem to be the case.

Does the tire tread clear the fender? If so, then it's the side wall rubbing on the fender? The 225-wide tire is only 5mm (3/16") different on each side, so that might not be enough to help.

Last edited by JimBlake; 03-18-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:13 AM

(updated 3/22/2011 ... These three things will fix the problem #1 The lower profile tires, #2 rolled fenders and #3 stiffer adjustable suspension. With all three of those I will have no problems.)

Thanks for the help Jim. Ya the rims are 18x8.5 which is really 19x9.5 when measured on the outsides. They are just a little to wide so the outside edge of the tire rubs the fender lip when I have my fat friends in the car and hit bumps. The rubbing is minimal and the lower tire should do it. I am getting the tires swapped for one size shorter and maybe later need to get the fenders rolled at an auto-body shop. That may help some too if it still rubs sometimes even with the lower tires on. The lower tires and some stiffer suspension the same height would fix it for sure. So I want to get somewhat stiffer suspension that is still stock height but the only suspension I can find is just more stock parts so that would be the same as I have now because my car has only 47k and the suspension is still good. Or I find after market suspension that is stiffer but it lowers the vehicle at least 1.2 inches is the smallest drop I found and that may just re-create the problem unless it was really stiff. So the lower sport suspension may work when I get lower profile tires and the fenders rolled too. Maybe that is my only choice is stiffer but somewhat lower suspension as I cant find stiffer stock height. I found these Eibach Springs that only lower the car 1.2 inches and will be stiffer, here is the link below...

Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set

Then I found this fully height and dampening adjustable suspension kit with springs and shocks and other stuff included. I think this might be my answer! I will get stiffer suspension that is adjustable, here is that link below...

http://www.amazon.com/Racing-HONDA-A...781521&sr=8-27

Please let me know what you think. I think the new lower profile tires which may just fix the problem right away and most likely will or at least help a lot will be enough... But if I get the fenders rolled and buy the adjustable kit I can adjust it as low as possible and make it fit as snug as possible so it looks cool and corners well. I think I should do all three in order to get the best outcome and best look. I will get rid of wheel gap with adjustable kit and stop rubbing because adjustable stiffer suspension will not allow the amount of travel needed for rubbing to occur and the rolled fender may create more space too. Here is the link for the fender rolling work I am talking about. This video shows exactly what I am talking about but my wheels and tires are so damn wide (again the company does sell them for my car) they may still not fit up inside the wheel well when bottomed out even with them rolled or folded back but it would help.

This is a very helpful video for anyone wanting to roll their fenders themselves.

YouTube - Rolling Your Fenders w/Eastwood Fender Roller

and the link to the tool if I was to buy one, need a heat gun too. I will find a auto-body shop and have a pro do it because buying the tools will cost as much or more as paying someone that actually knows what they are doing.

http://www.amazon.com/NEW-Eastwood-F...sr=1-1-catcorr

or at a different brand at Tire Rack

Tire Rack Fender Lip Rolling Tool

and heat gun,

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-8975...sr=1-2-catcorr

Last edited by AdamT253; 03-22-2011 at 03:28 AM. Reason: links
Old 03-20-2011, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

I had to change the links to selling sites that aren't sponsors (rules...)

If the rims are stamped 18 x 8.5 then that's the size. It's measured at the bead-seat, not the outside surfaces.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:32 AM

Well I called some shops and figured out how to fix my problem. #1 Lower profile tires, #2 rolled fenders and #3 stiffer adjustable suspension. With all three of those I will have no problems. How do I delete my threads I created? I had one on computer chips that I got the answer too also. I do not want to waste anyone's time when I know what to do now. I appreciate all the help.

Thanks,
Adam T.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Generally leave the threads alone. That way someone might come across the same problem and they can benefit from reading your final solution.