Tires & Wheels What wheels are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:42 AM
Default Brake Question

So it's been awhile since I last posted, but I was reading a post from 19Accord97 tonight about a brake upgrade, and had a question about the setup he bought.

Originally Posted by 19Accord97
Thanks guys!

WILL be ordering these tonight.

I am getting them from andysautosport.com

Slotted Powerslot rotors $65.94 a piece
Hawk HPS pads $68.62 a pair
I go to school at Washington State University, but I live close to Seattle (I don't know how many of you are from Washington State...) Basically every time I drive home it's about 300 miles, 50 of which are through a mountain pass.

Also, my Accord doesn't have anti-lock brakes, and in the snow during the winter, I frequently lock up my front brakes (There is a lot of snow while I'm at school, Nov.-Mar.)

I am currently running Brembo OEM Rotors with EBC Greenstuff Pads, but I think it's only been like 35k miles on this setup, and the pads are low, and the rotors have been turned.

It isn't easy for me to work on my Accord at school, but I'm going home for labor day weekend soon, and I could swap the new parts in then. I guess my question is, Would the slotted Powerslot rotors and Hawk HPS Pads that 19Accord97 chose be a good choice for the type of driving I do, and/or do I need slotted rotors.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:21 PM

1. honda's come with terrible pads, so yes hawk HPS are perfect for anything

2. if you autoX, then yes, slotted rotors are useful. but unless ur under heavy braking every 10 seconds, slotted rotors arent really going to be worth it. imo, a good, vented standard brembo rotor is great. if you are like me, however, and go to really twisty roads in the mountains and run your car to its max, a pair of slotted rotors up front is great. the rear is pointless to get slotted rotors for tho, cuz only about 10-20% of the car's actual braking is done there. if you go slotted and bigger up front, u could gain 10% efficiency if not more, so ud already be at 110% w/ just rotors, with pads: 120% or more. so ya if you put it in back, you may only pick up 5%, which isnt really impportant unless are really goin crazy on the track.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 PM

I don't AutoX, but I do drive my car through the mountain pass loaded down with four people and a bunch of baggage. I also routinely take my car up to around 95-105mph when passing, (I know this is probably frowned upon...) and I notice fade after slowing down from those kinds of speeds (probably also due to the extra weight in my vehicle.) Do slotted rotors dissipate heat better than non-slotted rotors? It would be nice to have a consistent pedal feel, regardless of how loaded down my car is.

My concern though, is in snow, since I don't have anti-lock brakes, I lock the tires with hardly any braking pressure at all. Do you think that slotted rotors will make lockup worse?

I guess I don't really need an increase in total braking force, but i want a setup that can take abuse, and remain consistent. Also, do you have any suggestions for a brake-line upgrade? and/or do you know how difficult it is to change lines?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:04 AM

slotted rotors will help with consistency and fade, however, pads are probably the most noticeable change. also, just look for stainless brake lines..they have a less squishy feeling.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 AM
skolapper
Unregistered
Default Brake Question

I have a 04 Sti. Full TBE, Tuned etc...I am getting ready to do a IHI VF30 swap and a few other upgrades. I was wondering if anyone has any advice as far as brakes. The brembo system is great, i was thinking about upgrading to drilled or slotted rotors, may eat the pads quicker but should help with stopping? My main question is would anyone recommend switching over to the steel braided brake lines, for the price they are going to cost can you notice a significant distance in stopping power? ThanksK

Old 09-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

STi on a Honda board?? Welcome anyway!

For most people slotted or drilled rotors, or braided lines won't improve stopping, exactly.

Slots & holes help vent gases generated by the pads, after some time of continuous hard braking. In road-racing, you'll see brake fading after awhile, & slots & holes can delay that. In normal sane driving, they won't matter.

Braided lines help the brake pedal feel a bit "harder". That's not the same as real true braking improvement, but (personally) I think I'd like the stiffer pedal.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 PM

Wouldn't a STi have come with the good stuff from the factory? It is pretty much a tuned down rally car afterall.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

You'd think so...
Profile says he's from Senegal. You & I can only guess how FHI (or Honda for that matter) changes equipment on cars in different continents.